XP won't recognize full 200gb hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JBB303, Dec 23, 2004.

1. JBB303

JBB303 Private E-2

Hello,
    I have installed a new Hitachi Deskstar 200gb hard drive (I plan to do some video editting). I'm running Windows XP Home on an AMD 2200, ASUS A7V333. XP only sees 128gb?

Is there some kind of BIOS setting or something that I need to change in order to see the full 200gb? Also I already have about 40gb on the hard drive so I don't to reformat if I don't have to.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    JB

2. PC Jedi Master

PC Jedi Master Private E-2

There was an article about this exact problem in PC Gamer a few months ago. I'll see if I can find it! I know I've got the mag laying around, just have to locate and type it out unless someone else knows how to solve it. Otherwise, I can do this tonight.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Are you up-to-date with your XP updates? Although I don't use XP, I think I remember reading that you have to have Sp1a, or Sp2, for it to work. XP experts, please step in. Bazza

===

4. JBB303

JBB303 Private E-2

Yeah, I'm up to date. Sp2...

5. Ravenspeed

Ravenspeed Private E-2

I had this very same problem with a seagate baracuda 200Gig drive and had to download an application from there website called disc wizard that fixed the problem message me if you cant find it and i will see if i can help some more

6. JBB303

JBB303 Private E-2

Just another bit of info... My BIOS recognizes the whole 200gb. It's XP that does not???

I tried downloading and using the Hitachi HD Feature Tool from their website. You can change the drive capicity in the BIOS with it but the BIOS is seeing it fine???

7. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Ummm... Upgrade to the far superior Windows 98SE? Or maybe Millenium.

8. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

XP needs to have at least SP1 loaded, which you have so I'd suggest re-installing XP on your box, that should work if the Hitachi program does not.

9. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Never change to Millenium, i repeat never, you're fine with xp so keep it.

You say it shows 200gb in BIOS. Can you go into Disk Management through control panel > administrative tools > computer management then click disk management along the bottom on the left hand side and then see what size it shows it as there.

10. PC Jedi Master

PC Jedi Master Private E-2

Absolutely correct, McAdam. Millenium is probably the worst OS known to man. I had SO many problems with that piece of Microsoft crap...

11. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Great minds think alike, and you're one of the few people who can spell my name right, with capitals in the right places, i salute you sir :)

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

macadam has a good suggestion, have a look at Disk Managment and see if that drive has the missing space un-allocated after the 137gb partition, if so you maybe able with an app like partition magic merge the two.

You may if your motherboard is old-ish need a bios update to allow larger size HDs

another thing to check is the ATAPI file correct version for 48bitLBA http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

13. JBB303

JBB303 Private E-2

OK, as suggested, I went into Disk Management and it shows the following;

Primary Partition (C:) 127.99GB NTFS Healthy (System)
    Unallocated 58.32GB

If that tells you anything????

14. JBB303

JBB303 Private E-2

Mobo is ASUS A7V333 (not that old and the BIOS see the correct size)

I went to the article that you mentioned and checked the ATAPI version. The articale say that I need version 5.1.2600.1152 for XP.

I am currently running ATAPI version 5.1.2600.2180

I assume bigger is better??

15. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

That looks like you only created one partition of 130gb and didn't use the other 60 odd gb. If its not too much bother, then perhaps you could and i mean COULD! try reformatting and creating 2 partitions of 100gb?? or if you prefer with just the one then make sure it says the partition you are creating is 200gb, however it is very wise to have more than one partition.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds