Remove yahoo homepage

Discussion in 'Software' started by vljacks, Aug 22, 2010.

1. vljacks

vljacks Private E-2

I am very new to this so please be patient. Recently my homepage has been changed to YAHOO. I have tried everything to revert it back to my MSN. I tried deleting all yahoo files, changing the homepage in internet options and also going to any page and setting it as my homepage and nothing works. it always sets back to YAHOO. Someone HELP PLEASE!!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

What Windows version and Internet Explorer version are you using?

Check in Add/Remove that you have no Yahoo applications/toolbars installed, if you do uninstall them. Then run CCleaner and its cleaner and regisrtry cleaners.

What Security applications do you have installed, as some of them can protect the Homepage of the borwser from being changed, so do check your security applications for doing this, could boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and see if you can change it there and then reboot normally and see if its still set as MSN.

3. vljacks

vljacks Private E-2

Thank you so much for your response. I have Windows Vista (have had nothing but problems with it...our computer won't even load the SP1) any way we also have IE 7 and Avest for security. I looked to see if I could change my homepage on it and notheing. I also ran CCleaner and nothing. I also don't show any toolbars for YAHOO in my programs. UGH!! I don't know what to do.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Did you try setting it in Safe Mode, then seeing if it changed back?

Hav eyou had any malware (virus) infections of late on your PC?

Dont normally ask this or have this run, but just wish to see whats going on with some of the startup files and services on your PC.

Download and install Hijackthis then once installed run it and save a log, this log is a Text file, so just attach post as per these instructions HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post to your next post.

5. vljacks

vljacks Private E-2

Ok I am trying everything. I started it in Safe mode and it went to MSN by the Japanese version (I am overseas). I tried to set MSN as my homepage, restarted my computer and it went back to yahoo. I downloaded hijackthis and it said some wierd stuff attached, said I was denied access. I did a screen shot and had to do a screen shot of the log also because it wouldn't let me save it but is to large to let me add it. I see yahoo in the log I am just not proficient enough on the computer to know if I should just delete it or what. I appreciate all of your help.

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try opening the screenshot then saving it as a .jpeg or host it on something like Imageshack?

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You should also tell us what security software you are using as Spybot and SpywareBlaster will protect your home page, among others.

8. vljacks

vljacks Private E-2

I am really feeling like an idiot but can not tell you enough how much I appreciate all of the help. So here are my screen shots and I am using "AVAST" for security.

Attached Files:

9. vljacks

vljacks Private E-2

Hello is anyone out there? Please help

10. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Right click on hijackthis and select "Run as Admininstrator:

I too had a Vista system that wouldn't accept the service pack. After some help from microsoft, I was finally told I needed to reinstall it.

11. Imperfect1

Imperfect1 Private First Class

If you can upgrade to IE8, there are some very easy ways to change your homepage. (And the instructions below might also be available in IE7 -- don't remember, but you can check.)

TO CHANGE IE’s HOME PAGE: In IE go to View, Toolbars, check the Command toolbar, and be sure to have the 'Home' link displayed. The 'Home' link is not only the instant link to your default Home Page, but you can add additional sites to Home, making it an instant shortcut to any site(s) on the web. To change your home page or add additional sites, all you have to do is to click the down-arrow to the right of Home, and click "Add or Change Home Page." Then, just follow the on-screen directions. "Change Home Page" will do just that, change your default home page; and "Add Home Page" will add all of the additional sites you wish to be able to instantly access. So to go to any of them, all you have to do is open the drop-down menu and click the site.

And by the way, vljacks, you really need to find a way to install your SP1 and SP2. Once you do, I think you will find your Vista to be much, much better.

12. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Go to the MSN home page that you want as Home Page, go to upper right corner to Tools. Go to the bottom Internet Options. In the resulting box, click on Use Current under Home Page.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds