create and customise user account

Discussion in 'Software' started by bern, Dec 27, 2003.

1. bern

bern Sergeant

i am using win xp pro . i know how to create a limited account but what i want to do is ONLY install games and programs that are for the kids . i DONT want them to use my account as they keep on changing settings and such .

the limited account that i have created has all my programs listed there as well

2. bern

bern Sergeant

come on guys there must be a way to do this . i just want have programs running on the limited account that the kids . :confused:

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Take a look at gpedit.msc.

Start-Run.

If they are not very savvy, you can just remove shortcuts of the programs you don't want them using and move them only into your profile, instead of all users.

As for games; well, some require admin rights. There may not be a way around that.

4. Endi

Endi Lt. Links

Remove them from that list

This is what I would do.

1. start
    2. my computer
    3. Local drive c
    4 Documents and settings
    5. You should see some folders that say
    a. all users
    b. your (own folder)
    c. the one that you have for the kids

6. go to the all users folders
    7. You should see
    a.desktop
    b Favorites
    c. shared documents
    d. start menu

8. go to the start up menu
    9. there should be one that says programs
    10. those are the programs that all users can see.
    11. remove the ones you do not wish for them to have

This should take care of the programs they see on the all programs option

then you might want to lock those folders on the kids side and also the c drive with a program that will not allow them to gen in and open them from the program files folders.

here is one

http://www.softempire.com/lock-folder.html

5. bern

bern Sergeant

thanks guys for all the help much appreciated ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds