Monitor isn't getting PCs signal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Wolf, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Mr.Wolf

Mr.Wolf Private First Class

Win XP SP1, GeForce 6600, no name mobo and no name LCD monitor.

Basically I had some virus (AdAware said it was mydoom). After a while I managed to get rid of it. So I was using my PC (which seemed to be a little buggy) and I decided to do a restart. Well afterwards, when the PC goes to boot up, the monitor doesnt display anything. So i turn everything off and wait overnight and try in the morning. Still nothing.
    This morning i put in my little bros old video card in place of mine, and it still didn't work. I take the monitor downstairs and try it on my parents computer and it works. Then I bring it back up here and switch my hard drive signings around so it will boot from the one without windows, hoping to get something. Nothing happens.

Anyone have any ideas? Is my PC dead? I wouldn't really mind that, I had alot of junk on there and got all the important files out when i initially thought my PC was gonna die, so wouldn't mind starting over. Can anyone help me as to what may be causing this? Thanks for any help. :)

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Your on the right track, you need to swap out your video card, then your monitor, then the cable. Once all 3 are replaced and there is still no video, odds are your motherboard is fried.

3. Mr.Wolf

Mr.Wolf Private First Class

Well if thats the case, can a good mobo be reccomended? I'm sort of out of the computer game nowadays, it would just need to be something with AGP, and a few PCI slots

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds