Is the hard drive half empty or half full?

Discussion in 'Software' started by smilejack1, Apr 24, 2007.

1. smilejack1

smilejack1 Private E-2

I'm not sure whether this should go under hardware or software. I reformatted New Year's day (running XP Home w/ SP2) and my machine was running great until about a month ago, at which point it began slowing down and acting buggy. It has gotten progressively worse since then. Last night, I got an error message stating that the disk (the C: drive, that is) was nearly full, which surprised me, as it is an 80 GB drive, and to the best of my knowledge has only 35 GB or so on it. I unhid the system folders and checked properties for the "size on disk" of each folder. They totaled about what I thought, approximately 35 GB. I ran cleandisk (or whatever it's called) and freed up a few stray MB. Then I compressed the files on the disc, after which the disc's properties claimed it had some 58 GB on it. Although the machine still feels somewhat slow and buggy. it's running much better than it was, but it still thinks it has 20 or so GBs more on it (all these numbers are from memory since I'm at "work") then it appears it really does, which not only means I have some 20 GB I can't use, but perhaps more disturbingly, means either that Bill Gates's idiot son Windows can't properly read the disc, or the disc is going batty. Both possibilities trouble me. I have checked System Restore (which is turned off like I thought, and thus, I assume, takes up no space) and the swapfile, which is at about 1100 MBs. I defragged with no appreciable effect, and ran ScanDisk, again with no appreciable effect. Any thoughts?

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds