Crash with mostly black blue screen, no log

Discussion in 'Software' started by donob10, Oct 27, 2010.

1. donob10

donob10 Private E-2

For the last month, my HP 6735s (laptop)with Vista SP2 has been crashing and restarting, asking startup mode question, but not writing a dump or recording an event. The crash brings up a mostly black screen that looks like a large black rectangle overlaid on a blue screen. The blue only shows at the bottom.

This happens whenever I try to communicate wirelessly with my canon MP560 multiprinter. The crash occurs if I try to print, scan or just get info from the printer. The laptop and printer worked together fine for almost a year and then on 9/28/10 this began. I can't find any record of changes in software at that time. I see now that I probably should have gone to a restore point at that time. But I thought it just a fluke.

The first day, this was an intermittent occurrence. Since that time it has been a hard fault. My Think Pad, with XP, works wirelessly with the canon with no problem. I have run the Windows Resource Checker. The first time through it found about 40 errors which it fixed. A second run showed no errors. I ran ChkDsk. It found a number of errors. Some were with the canon drivers. It said it fixed them. It did a spontaneous restart. After restart it crashed with no event recorded.

2. donob10

donob10 Private E-2

I finally solved my problem. I had used BluScreenView and found that NDIS 6.0 wrapper driver and/or tcpip driver were always the cause of my problem. Logs of crashes were only written after Widows Resource Checker found and replaced 205 corrupt driver files. I'm not sure how that happened. I did do the complete Major Geeks Malware Removal routine and found nothing.

Using BluScrVu, the error was "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" for one or both of the drivers above.
    I wasn't sure how to replace system drivers, so I spent some time trying to reconstruct my memory of the time just before the problem began. I realized that I had enabled file sharing just before the crashes began. I turned file sharing OFF and the problem disappeared. I don't understand, but I can print.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds