HD shows full no matter if I delete lots of files

Discussion in 'Software' started by IRQIO, Jun 8, 2006.

1. IRQIO

IRQIO Private E-2

I received a warning that the HD is full so I went to delete files and move them into other HD however when I look, the HD space still shows 28k empty? I make sure I move another file from it but nothing, what can it be? how can I repeair the HD, it's a SATA.

2. noodlesis

noodlesis Private First Class

Possibly the files you're "moving" are small? Also, are you moving them or deleting them. Possibly moving them only copies them.

3. IRQIO

IRQIO Private E-2

why u think I'm dumb? they're all 400-600MB files yes nothing changes on the space. And I'm moving them with shift and they dissapear at the other end.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Not dumb. But it would be helpful to provide as much info as you can in the initial post.. :) That eliminates the need to ask basic questions which after all may be the right answer.

Getting back to the problem............

Have you done a virus scan. There are virus's out there that fill hard drives.

5. IRQIO

IRQIO Private E-2

no I don't think so I just scanned what else can it be? do u have a scandisk type of thing to check my HD, windows xp sucks. give me a good one.

6. wesran

wesran Private E-2

Deleting the files doesn't take them offf the drive unless you empty the recycle bin.

7. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

That's right wesran but in this case the files are going onto another hard drive so the bin won't figure into it.

Something weird is going on.

8. infoseeker

infoseeker Master Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds