AVG Alternative

Discussion in 'Software' started by cooperajn, Nov 23, 2009.

1. cooperajn

cooperajn Private E-2

I have used the free edition for a number of years and been very pleased with it, but it slows my pc right down for over an hour every day.
    Should I download the latest version, or an equivalent, or run Spybot and Malwarebytes every day?

TonyC

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Spybot search and destroy are not anti virus software, so to have these in addition to having an anti virus is fine. I personally use Avast! Free edition and have done so for a long time with no problems. I used to use avg 7.5 which was a nice version which didn't hog resources.

I also stopped using spybot search and destroy a long time ago.

I use Avast! and also have the free versions of SUPERantispyware and Malware Bytes.

I have moved your thread to software as you do not need malware removed. :)

3. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

I have installed latest free version of AVG and it seems faster. In addition I only do a full system scan once a week and it is much better. It used to also frustrate me by slowing down my system and the wise men from MG advised me I didn't need the daily scan.The program is working all the time in the background and will alert if anything dodgy appears on the horizon.
    Once you start the scan look down the bottom of that screen and in the additional settings you can set the program to turn off the computer when the scan is finished. I set it going and go to bed and don't have to tolerate a slow computer. Works for me:)

4. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Avast, Avira and Comodo all offer excellent (free) alternatives to AVG

All available from Majorgeeks --> http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44525

You can also get a nice firewall from the same page, i would rec' Comodo but Outpost or Zonealarm are good equal alternatives.

NOTE: Comodo do a full security suite, which is not my personal preference but is a very decent suite indeed.

I use Spybot and MBAM as on demand scanners, although spybot is a bit of a pain as it cant be installed with Kaspersky [My main AV-(not free)]
    but i have it on many other machines which run Avira and comodo.

SUPERantispyware is also well known to be a good scanner (i just hate the spammy sounding name)

Q

5. cooperajn

cooperajn Private E-2

Thanks for the very helpful replies.
    I am now spoilt for choice, but I certainly won't be running AVG daily!

Tony

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I personally like Avira AntiVir and the Comodo firewall.
    Along with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware, you have most of the bases covered.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You might be surprised if you did, because the latest version has changed the scanning method and now does it in about half the time and with no noticeable effect on the system - not on my box anyway. For the first time ever I'm just letting it scan daily. Why not if it doesn't cause problems?

No one has mentioned Microsoft's latest offering, Microsoft Security Essentials. This is free and has been very well received. I have it on one of the systems here and it is completely unobtrusive and appears to be doing everything it should AV and ASwise.

I still prefer AVG because of its link scanner, but you can actually get that now as a separate free download and it will run alongside your present AV. Makes more sense to me though, if you want the link scanner, just to get AVG.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. Earthling

Thanks for the heads up :) I'll keep an eye on it, though atm both systems I have it on, an XP laptop which just hibernates each night, and a Win 7 VM, both show last update today 06:14 GMT, version 1.71.222.0. Is there anywhere you can check whether that is the latest def file?

10. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

I'll second that , Earthling. I run AVG 9 and update it daily, and scan daily, and haven't seen any ill effects. I like the fact that any updates that are available are downloaded and it doesn't take long at all, and I am surprised that being on a DUN, it is still quite fast... I am on a XP Pro Desktop, and no problems here.

I don't see the point in running a weekly or monthly update, or scan for that matter, because it only takes a couple minutes a day, and you are done... Works for me, too;)

11. Earthling

Anyone who has any doubts about whether their MSE is updating or not need only check their Windows Update history. MSE updates once a day and I can't see any evidence on my system that it isn't updating dally, though calling a manual update might pull down a later def file..

12. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

My personal security setup on my home system running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium: Avira's Free AntiVir, paid full version MalwareBytes, Spyware Blaster updated regularly, and MS Security Essentials. Many people think I'm crazy for not running a firewall, but to be honest, the one single time I was infected here on my home personal PC, a firewall would not have made a bit of difference. However, a firewall is an excellent and important extra level of security. Online Armor (the free version) and Comodo Firewall are my recommendations for a firewall.

13. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Yes... yes they do! :p

:)

Q

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds