Anybody else walk daily?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LTLSU, Jun 20, 2012.

1. LTLSU

LTLSU Private E-2

Just getting back into morning daily walks, I had stopped for 2 yrs and gained 28 lbs.

Diabetes sucks, cutting back carbs and now back to the "routine."
    :cry

2. LTLSU

LTLSU Private E-2

I suffered a 30 ft fall flat on my back a few yrs ago that fractured ribs, punctured a lung and herniated 4 discs badly. So my work life ceased at that point, I had worked construction most of my life.

Because of the severe lack of exercise I got afterwards and 50% of my family having diabetes I eventually got it at age 53. I'm now 56, up to 220 lbs and my waist ballooned from 36 to tight 38's. Real tight.

So I'm looking to drop 40 lbs cutting down on carbs and walking daily. And have 36's fit loosely. My A1c's and cholesterol levels will improve a lot also.

Hang in there, bro. It was a real muggy walk this mornin.

3. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I don't have a car so I naturally walk everywhere I go :-D

4. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I try to walk 5-7 days per week. It is slowly working.

5. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Well, actually I DO, have separate work shoes, shopping/going out shoes, around the home shoes, etc., LoL!:-o ~ Got a problem wid dat?...:p:-D

Yeah, I'm one of those ancient, knocked around old geezers, I guess.:(

6. LTLSU

LTLSU Private E-2

The heat index today here is 100 to 104.

Its 94 with a 72 dew point. All A/c's on, lol.

7. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Not on purpose, taking a walk for no other reason than to walk. But I typically do anywhere from 5-30 miles a day at work...I figure that counts for a lot. :-D

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Ugh...I used to walk pretty regularly. I really need to get back into it...or my yoga, again.

Good for all of you who do it regularly!

9. Phantom

LoL!...One of the more gay looking Thongs, (as they call them over here), I've seen. Be alright for a girl, I guess.There are worse ones, though. I know someone who likes to wear his SpongeBob Squarepants bathing trunks and thongs to the beach. I try and avoid being seen in public with him LOL.
    Weird about the local nomenclature. I always thought a 'Thong' was some kind of under-garment for women, but Aussies wear them on their feet!...:eek:-D
    I have my 'Ugg Boots' on today, as it's freezing and I have damn Bronchitis again.
    As for walking, ya, I like to go on bush walks in the National Park, or whatever, but not in this weather. Brrr!!!...

10. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Now that I have a dog, I do. Summer months get really hot here, so we wait until it's past 8:00 in the evening, then I take her out walking a couple of miles every night. It's great, now that she's finally learned how to behave on a leash. She trots along, grinning like an over-excited idiot, tail wagging like crazy, while I get my daily exercise. :)

She seems to think we're doing it for the sheer enjoyment of walking briskly for a half hour. Stupid dog. :-D

11. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I do security on the Weekend so i do about 5 rounds during my shift so i walk about 3 miles each shift.

So i get plenty of exercise during the week.And i wonder how i still at 200 lbs :-D

I exercise 30 mins be for i fall a sleep.

And i all so eat like a horse.I can eat enough food for 3 people.all ways hungry.

12. Phantom

...It could be worse, man. Some people get a tad confused!:confused .;)

[​IMG]

Not to threadjack too much, but yep on the Bronchitis. Already spent Tuesday in the E.R. Pneumonia again and three cracked ribs down the bottom from coughing so hard. So now it hurts like blazes when I move/cough. One reason why I am paranoid about germs these days.:(

13. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Unfortunately.

Until they invent a walking fridge.

14. dyamond

It looks like you've figured me out. :-D a girl can never have too many shoes as there are far too many occasions which require different foot wear! A friend had the nerve to tell me I had too many shoes the other day after I told him how many pair I owned, he was lucky there was too many witnesses around for me to smack him around soundly. :-D

I don't know about healthier, I've been trying for months to lose this 20 lbs. I'm already very picky about what I eat as it is but I cut back on my one weakness baked goods/ice cream and have replaced some meals with more salads and veggies plus I go to the gym 3 times a week (most weeks) but this weight has stuck to me like glue! :cry I'm half tempted to just say screw it, I don't what else to try, and if I'm not gonna lose weight I might as well eat what I want and be happy :-D

I hate, hate, hate when guys wear flip flops. I find it sooo gross. I don't want to see your crusty feet that haven't seem the light of day in months! I don't care if you're hot, put on some sneakers please! :-D

Phantom, hope you feel better soon! I never had bronchitis but I once pulled a muscle under my ribcage and I soon learned to dread every sneeze, cough and laugh. Even breathing deeply hurt but sneezes were the absolute worst!! I feel your pain!

15. dyamond

I didn't mean physically, you nerd :-D and that's why you'd leave your shoes outside/on the porch with some odor eaters and immediately wash you feet/take a shower. That way, no smell :p

16. Phantom

Thanks, Dy :). Yeah, I am also Asthmatic these days so a.t.m., I can only breathe at the expense of great pain. A lot of folk take it for granted that they can actually breathe without discomfort and without thinking about it :(.
    Pneumonia has been abating, so looks like I'll live through this one. Still not too chipper, a.t.m.

I detest Flip-Flops, too - for the following reasons:- (1) Uncomfortable to wear, even more so to walk in; (2) They always hurt/chaff in between my big-toe and under the straps, (I have typical tissue thin English skin); (3)They flick sand and crap all over my back and in my hair, especially when running; (4) Speaking of running - just DON'T in Flip-Flops; (4) Slippery and dangerous when wet; (5) Any broken glass, thorns, etc. just go straight through the, (pathetic) soles and into my feet; (6) They look tramp(ish), untidy and common; (7) They expose the feet to sun and dangerous U.V. rays, (significant in Aust. and my Lilly white feet, LoL!).

I could go on, but you get the drift that I dislike the wretched torture devices.:mad

17. Phantom

Ah yeah, two number fours - I guess that means both points are related, (yeah, yeah, I should have made a (4a) and a (4b). That's my, (feeble) excuse), besides it was nearly 1:30 a.m., local time when made that post.:p

I use slippers to perform most of the tasks you ascribe to Flip-flops, (yup, I am a (old)Nerd!). Flip-flops are evil incarnate, pure evil, i.m.o.:-D

18. dyamond

No, that would be tomatoes or as I frequently call them "the spawn of satan" :-D:-D

19. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I try and walk as much as possible these days, in work as I now work behind a desk for most of the day I do walk up the stairs instead of using the elevator, I could do with loosing a few lb but not much, more 2 or 3lb as I'm getting flabby around the midrift!

Diabetes does suck and while I'm not diabetic I do work at times in that field of ophthalmology as its one of the research areas I deal with, so I know its effects and overweight is one such effect that can cause massive diabatic issues in cholesterol and vision problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds