Conflict with another computer on the network....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by White97TA, Mar 21, 2008.

1. White97TA

White97TA Private E-2

I keep getting this error, disconnects me from whatever I am doing at the moment. I have this problem alot now. I have 2 computers set up in my house, one wired directly to the router, and the other wireless.

Tonight this happened at least 10 times within 3 hours. It's really making me angry now.

I guess the question is, how do I really secure the wireless network so others cant access it? Only thing I can think of is someone around me is trying to use the wireless access to get on the net... The other computer in my house hasn't been turned on all night.

I am working with XP pro, SP 2. Linksys WRT54G router. I do know how to access the router settings etc, but not what to do from there. I don't wanna mess things up before I even get started.

If someone could give me details on how to resolve this I would be very very happy. I am so frustrated with it.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

3. White97TA

White97TA Private E-2

This stuff is very confusing... I don't know what all these terms mean. Let me make this clear lol. I am very new to this networking stuff. I know how to access the router, but no idea what to do from there. If it's not too much to ask I really need to know exactly what to do.

It says to use the manufacturers disk etc. I can't find it... Then all this WPA, SSID stuff gets me lost. And the link to "Microsoft - WPA Wireless Security for Home Networks" doesn't work.

I need to know I guess is how to add a password or something? I don't know how I could get a conflict with another computer besides a neighbor when the other puter in the house is turned off.

Sorry if I am not giving enough info for you to help me, I don't know what I am doing...:(

4. White97TA

White97TA Private E-2

Ok, I have done 2 things, and all is working ok. But, it still shows as unsecured. I changed the SSID, and changed the channel to 11. If I disable SSID broadcast will that do it? Or will I lose connection with the wireless?

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

If you are using the wireless connection, you already have a SSID, that is just the "name" of the wireless network you connect to.
    Do you know which connection software you are using to do the wireless connection? Either Windows is controlling it or the Linksys software.
    The wireless channel can be found out in the router configuration pages and by right-clicking on the wireless connection, choosing properties and scrolling through there.
    The MAC number can be found by START > RUN > CMD and then ipconfig /all. You will probably have 2 MAC's - 1 for a wired connection and 1 for the wireless on the second comp.
    I won't be online much longer this AM but will check back this evening.
    Post back with any other questions, and someone else may jump in here this morning.
    Hope this helps.

6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Disabling the SSID broadcast will not cause you to lose the connection.

7. White97TA

White97TA Private E-2

Ok, I will try this and see how it goes. I'm still really confused but this is helping. Still trying to figure out how to keep others from getting on my network I guess. Thanks for the help, really appreciated.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Even if the other PC is off in the house your router is still connected and live to the internet so someone can still use your connection.

But I searched for some step by step images to help you set a Wireless Encryption key for that specific router you have and this should help you set a key WPA being much stronger than that of WEP, http://www.tekstenuitleg.net/en/articles/wireless_network_security_guide/5 use your own security passwords and SSID name, than that in guide.

Also shen set you will be logged off the internet until each wireless PC on your network has connected to the wireless network using the SSID ( if not hidden then you can see and click it in the available wireless networks list ) and Password.

9. White97TA

White97TA Private E-2

Awesome! Thanks so much for that info. I got it all secured.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds