Prevent spying malware from 'phoning home'

Discussion in 'Software' started by tmdowling, Mar 29, 2014.

1. tmdowling

tmdowling Private E-2

(re-posting here instead of malware forum, as instructed)

About a year ago I discovered pctattletale installed on my computer, and removed it per their instructions, which I think I recall consisted of deleting the executable, which of course didn't give me great confidence.

Recently, I had to replace my router, and in the process discovered the router's logs of web activity from my computer. Lo and behold, every now and then, my computer is contacting app.pctattletale.com.

I went through the procedures listed here on Major Geeks in the Malware Removal Guide, which conclude with 'now see if this has resolved the problem.' It's taken a while, but by watching the router logs I've again seen it contact app.pctattletale.com.

I am not going to have time to go through all the steps in those procedures again for a while -- maybe not for over a week -- plus the time to submit reports and get instructions from you wonderful folks. In the meantime, is there anything I can do to prevent outbound traffic to that URL?

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is this a home or company PC?
    Do you have admin logon for the PC?

Ask this as this software is used by some corporates to monitor employees usage of the PCs.

Now as there is a few items named the same if you have a malware that is of the same name try this HERE and check for the registry items and if found delete.

To prevent outbound traffic you need to know the .exe that is sending traffic then in a firewall (Windows built in one or 3rd party) block that .exe

3. tmdowling

tmdowling Private E-2

Yes, I have admin logon.

You're suggesting buying Norton Antivirus?

Some of the executable filenames listed in that description have legitimate versions, so I don't think I could risk blocking any of them in my firewall, could I?

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds