What a Scam

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adrynalyne, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Just got home from a friend's house, who has an Xbox360. Nice machine, and I remember quite well that one of the selling points of the $399 system was backwards compatibility with Xbox games.

Not so.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6e-0c1a-4afc-9738-76f4f6cce1ef&DisplayLang=en

Only a few games are compatible so far. I tried two, Soul Caliber 2, and Mortal Kombat Annihlation. Neither worked.

So for those of you who think that a new shiny xbox360 is going to replace your current xbox--don't be so sure.

What a jip.

2. BrokenArrows

BrokenArrows Sergeant

well atleast they are not just going to leave it as it is.
    They are providing updates.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats because they don't want to be forced to recall all of the machines to fix them.

I'm sure a class action lawsuit would have made them do so.

Yes they are fixing it, yes they are advertising under nearly false pretenses.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Or, how about this one?

The 360 only comes with a 90 day warranty.

What kind of BS is that?

http://www.xboxoverheating.com/index.php?q=node/28

My friend confirmed the 90 day warranty.

MS certainly isn't backing up their quality either.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

90 day warranty, that's ridiculous. It should be at least a year. (My toaster has longer than that)

Typical Micro$$oft, rush something out before it's ready to beat your opposition to the punch.

As far as backward compatibility, everything I've read about XBox says it's simply not.

That's one thing PlayStation has over it. What does Micro$$oft expect people to do, throw away their entire game library and start again every time a new console is released?

6. sleepygamer213

sleepygamer213 First Sergeant

Well... Microsoft is evil like that... They say "Oh lets rush out in front of the competition to get OUR system out first!, but lets make sure its full of bugs!" Which ensures the user will be forced to waste time checking Microsoft's website for help.. And all they will say is something like "buy this, it will fix it" and of course the fix is also full of bugs...

Kindof like Windows Genuine Advantage... If you have a corporate edition of Windows XP Pro, they FORCE you to buy a new copy from them and say that your copy was pirated. In my case, they offered to replace it free if i provided them with a very good "imitation" box that my corp. edition came in. Of course, i dont have the box, because employees' don't get the OS box!!!

So far, im LOVING my Linux on Xbox.. Hopefully they may do the same for the xbox 360... And some third party will probably release the CORRECT plugin to play all your old xbox games on your new console... just maybe.

BTW, I recently purchased a new knife (some cheepo one that i didnt expect to last very long, only $10) Lifetime warranty. Lifetime. Thats all i have to say.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

A topic for another thread, but anyway...I disagree.

Don't forget, I worked for MS for 4 years. I updated my corp version at work all the time, and yes, WGA was in full swing when I still I worked there.

Home users don't use corporate copies. If they are--they aren't supposed to.

8. Insomniac

And corporate is the most pirated version as it doesn't require activation.

9. jedandjess

jedandjess Private First Class

Long live VLK!

Ah it feels gone to have scored a point against Mr Bill :)

cheers m*th, u rock!

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

:rolleyes:

Piracy is not condoned hee.

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

It does however need validation with Windows Genuine Advantage to get custom update area or WGA listed downloads etc auto updates still works so I gather, more in an aid to stop malware affecting everyone else...

bet you feel all warm and fuzzy now.

before anyone says oh yeah that can be bypassed, guess what I already know.

Back to topic......... 90 day warranty is poor and from what you said about backwards compatibility Adryn I dont think I will bother with a 360 for now.

12. QuickSilver

QuickSilver Corporal

90 day warranty is pretty crap. I never get a warranty greater than 1 year because if a product is still working good after a year I think you can be reasonably confident its going to be ok... 90 days doesn't necessarily give you that.

In the UK, places like Comet/Currys typically offer you extended warranties. I always thought that they honoured a 1 year guaruntee, but now I can't remember if thats just the manufacturers warranty or not...

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Actually I wonder Quicksilver if the UK versions of the 360 do have a 1yr warranty? ( our laws will be different to the US and other countries )

Comet et al.. use the manufacturers warranty in the first year but either get you to take out extended ( 3-5yr ) at purchase time or when your hardware/goods are near the 1yr mark.. I got a reminder letter that something I bought from them is near to its running out 1yr warranty.

seems the xbox360 in the UK could have a 12mth warranty http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=298179

14. Insomniac

That's an interesting point regarding warranty cover for different countries.

Must check out what it is here?

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

So MS screws Americans.

Won't be the first time...

*cough*outsourcing*cough*

16. Insomniac

I don't think Micro$$oft is prejudicial or racist when it comes to money.

They would screw anyone over if they could.

It must be the differences in laws (obviously) that allows them to offer a much shorter warranty for an (near) identical product.

BTW, take something for that cough of yours. You sound terrible. :p

17. theefool

theefool Geekified

I remember the old atari 2600. Great games, then comes 5200. Was it backward compatible?

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Why yes it was.

The Atari 7800 was not.

19. Insomniac

The sticking point, and probably illegal and certainly unethical, is that Micro$$oft advertised the 360 as being backward compatible, at least with some of the games.

20. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well thats just it. It is, with some games.

Does anyone recall any advertisement saying hey for 100 more dollars you can play some of your old games?

Of course not.

Correction on Atari comment. 7800 played 2600 games too. It could not play 5200 games though.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds