static/squeal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by db13, Feb 25, 2006.

1. db13

db13 Private E-2

Hi I need help again,I bought a used desk top (old)and have a static/squeal sound that comes from the tower.At first it was just when it started but it just did it while running (I was trying to post this message).It squealed then I lost the monitor.Shut it down restart no problems.Seems to be worse at cold start....now what I`ve done...I opened the tower and cleaned it with canned air,cleaned the two fans (even pulled the sticker and oiled them...the one on the power box was locked up).The sound seems to be coming from the mother board where the video card,modem,etc. plug in (I`ve installed wireless card but it did this before the install) but there is nothing I see there (no moving parts) that would do this,any ideas?...ok computer info.....OS-WindowsME version 4.90.3000 Build3000.....Manufacturer Gateway...Model N/A...system type-X86-basePC....processer AMD Athlon(tm) Processor Authentic AMD~1002Mhz...Bios version AMIBIOS (c) 1999 American Megatrends Inc. version 07.00xx...display adapter NVIDIA Vanta AGP 16MP (micron)....also want to add that I just found in sysem information under components ...problem devices ...device-ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IR.....PNP Device id-ACPI\*PNPOCOF\00000002....ERROR CODE-22.Thanks for all your help,

2. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

fisrt try to isolate the sound, stop the cpu and case fan for a second, if it is not those it is liekly your PSU or video card.also look over you mobo and make sure there aren't and bulging capacitors.

3. db13

db13 Private E-2

No its not the fans,like i say one was locked up and I tried with the other unpluged,don`t see any bulged or otherwise bad capacitors,and the squeal seems to be coming from where the cars plug in...what would make a video card squeal?

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Yes turn the computer on, stop the devices that are keeping the cpu cool. Great idea!

5. splitt3r

your computer isn't going to burn if you stop the fan for 3 seconds, I have done it myself, just don't leave it unpluged or take off the heatsink, that would be retarded.

Make sure the pci cards are seated well, maybe teke them out and reseat them, could be that something isn't making good contact and that could destroy your cards, maybe even damage the mobo.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I have burned processors up doing less, (course most of those were shitty processors that ran hot anyways) for the most part you would be fine, but when recommended stuff like that, do it with a warning cause not everyone reliazes that its just a quick temporary test.

7. db13

db13 Private E-2

Ok the fans all checked out good so I started pulling the video and sound card,modem,etc. and replacing them one at a time.Well turns out it`s the video card.Now what I need to know is what is the best video card to replace this one with?Here is the info off the video card its self.....nVIDIA RIVA TNT2tm64.......605404.01 0106B6........6001674........sn#0459661......68100.1.......wo# 62961...mfg date 1301....I`m new to this and not sure which card will work with this computer,Thanks again for all your help.

8. splitt3r

I had that exact card, i is horrible, if y9ou are a gamer go for a 6800gs if not anythign in the nvidia 5 series is fine, my dad replaced his TNT2 with a 5200fx, it is cheap and can play games like WoW.

9. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

DB13.....Sorry I didn't see your post sooner. But I see you've figured it out to be the video card.
    I just wanted to add.......It's VERY common to see one or two devices with error code 22, under the Sys Info Problem devices, with Windows ME. I've never found out WHY, but if you install ANY other O/S on your computer, they will be gone from there.

10. db13

db13 Private E-2

Well I`m back,replaced the video card with a nVIDIA 2.0 GeForce MX 4000 Graphics Card AGP 128MB DDR VGA+S-Video Out turned on the computer and the squeals there still.Took the video card from my other pc put it in and loaded the drivers same thing.Now the one is an AGP card the other is PCI.So I removed the sound card and modem to double check and with the video card only it still squeals...Motherboard?According to the Gateway Support it has a MSI Athlon mobo 1GHz...where is the best place to buy replacement?Could it be something else?Thanks.

11. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

You just gotta find out where the squeal is coming from,this is the strangest advice I think I will ever give:) ,get the cardboard inside of some kitchen roll,plug up one ear with a cotton bud,put the cardboard tube to your unplugged ear move the tube around the motherboard find out where the noise is loudest,you should be able to narrow it down to an inch or so

If you can post a photograph of your motherboard and cirlce where the sound is coming from :)

12. db13

db13 Private E-2

Ok I`m back.Found the squeal,I tried another monitor and another power source and it still squealed so I took Rikky`s advice (but used a piece or rubber fuel line) and located the squeal.It`s coming from the little speaker that lets see..."provides audible error codes during power on self test"...So can I fix/replace it?new mobo?or is it another problem?I cant do a picture but this is a link to Gateway`s support site that shows the little devil http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/MSI/2510174/251017408.shtml Thanks all

13. splitt3r

well, if that thing is constantly squealing but your PC works it is probably a mobo error, and I don't think it can be replaced, at least not easily, it is soldered onto the mobo.try updating your firmware/bios

14. db13

db13 Private E-2

doesn`t squeal constantly just when you turn it on some times and some times when its been on awhile it does it and the monitor goes.How do I go about updting firmware/bios?Thanks

15. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Give this a read. ;).....I see a "weard PC noises"sticky in the future maybe

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds