Laptop wont start...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phaty619, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Phaty619

Phaty619 Private E-2

A few days ago my laptop started giving me some trouble when it loaded up, Thi is an HP pavilion dv9000 entertainment PC, the company upgraded it to Vista home premium, anyways first the screen seemed to display weird lines going up and down changing from blue,brown, orange to green.

it would get past the windows loading screen (the screen didnt have the windows logo) but only show a black screen and not the log in screen, after a while it would say that the display driver failed to restart in a BSOD.

I cant even get into it in safe mode it just freezes at crcdisk.sys.

I ran a hard drive diagnostics and it said it was fine, i don't even have a repair disk because the company upgraded it but didnt put in the self repair onto the hard drive. Is there anything i can do?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It sounds like the video chip has failed. This would explain the odd lines in odd colors, and it explains the BSOD error about the video driver being unable to start. The only way to fix a bad video chip in a laptop is to either replace the entire main board (usually at least $350) or find a qualified repair place that can perform board-level chip replacement and diagnostics. This would probably be under $200.00. I've done business with Laptop Rescuer and they do excellent board level repair, and are very reasonably priced.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Contact HP. I was able to dig this up posted Dec. 2008
    Your video chip is on the motherboard and if there is a known problem with the chip and motherboard combination, HP might replace it at no cost to you.

Found this on the HP business forum
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...77&lc=en&cc=us&product=3224049&dlc=en&lang=en

4. bbsjava

bbsjava Private E-2

my 2007 sony viaos keeps restarting over and over again. when it reaches my wallpaper
    a ble screen pops up. Then it restarts its self. HELP!! I am out of warrenty..

5. bbsjava

bbsjava Private E-2

My 2007 Sony Laptop keeps restarting over and over. It reaches the wallpaper and reboots again. A blue screen pops up for a moment then reboots. No time to read the error message. Can any help? Thanks

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

bbsjava, welcome. It is not a good idea to tack your problem onto someone else's thread. It also isn't a good idea to drag up an old thred unless you have a solution to the problem.

Start here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
    click the new thread button at the top left and post your problem also including the model of Vaio and the operating system on the computer.
    It might be a good idea to also mention when the problem started and if you added any new programs or downloaded anything then noticed the problem.

7. bbsjava

bbsjava Private E-2

I am so sorry I did that. It was a mistake. I should of read the instructions first.I feel like an idiot. Please accept my apology.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds