Time Sync Program for Laptop?

Discussion in 'Software' started by AngelsWilliam, Jan 7, 2010.

1. AngelsWilliam

AngelsWilliam Private First Class

ComboFix deleted AboutTime, which was what I had been using to keep the time in my laptop current.
    :mad
    When I clicked on http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/B...ls/index1.html (recommended by a forum admin in a 2004 post for this same question), however, Web of Trust told me that site had a bad reputation. I clicked on the details link because sometimes the warning is for something minor, but there was 63% warning of malware. I read through the comments, and many reported getting malware from the site; one even reported phishing!
    :eek
    Do you have another place where you know there are malware-free system time tools? I can't afford a new battery for my laptop right now, which is why I ask. Thanks for any and all help!
    :wave
    (Similar post here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=1437090. I was asked to start a new thread.)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The battery that keeps the time cost under $5 and can be purchased at Walmart. It is a coin type battery and keeps the CMOS settings working. It has not a thing to do with the very expensive battery notebooks use when not plugged in and usually cost over $100.

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/

3. batterynew

batterynew Guest

The CMOS battery is very cheap not the laptop battery.
    I think you must go to buy it and replace it,or your laptop time will not be stored!

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

5. AngelsWilliam

AngelsWilliam Private First Class

This is a Compaq Evo N610c, which are out of production. Our computer guy got my parents and I each used ones for $300.

My extremely tech-savvy friend took a look at the $100 battery's info and said he could find one, now that he had the info from it...but his queue of friends he assists ("If I don't help my friends, what good am I to them?") with computer problems is a mile long, and he prioritizes them by severity and immediacy of need, so...this ain't high on his list...especially now that I've lost my job.

But, he didn't say anything about the CMOS battery, other than that it would've carried the clock for a bit after the main battery died, but only a bit...and then it would have died rather quickly from having to carry the load all on its own. (Note: If you are at all in doubt of the validity of his assessment, here...I had noticed before he told me this that when there was more than a 10-15 minute break between when I had the laptop plugged in, it would fuss at me about not having the correct time when I booted. It also made a huge difference in the amount of time it could stay unplugged if I updated the time right before I unplugged it. It was then that he told me the above.)

Thanks to all, and so sorry it took so long to return to the topic. Things have been crazy around here...and will be again in 2-1/2 weeks when my sister comes to visit to celebrate my brother's, hers, and my birthdays. *head explodes* Will continue to check back in my spare (ha...ha...ha) time, tho. Ever notice how things get strangely busier when you're without a job than when you had one?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It looks like the CMOS battery is indeed a simple coin cell battery with no soldered parts or connectors. Maybe, I am wrong about how laptops use power but a CMOS battery should last a few years with or without a main battery connected. All it does is keep track of time and BIOS settings(not very consumptive of power).

You might take a look at this guide and see if it is as easy to get to the CMOS battery as it appears. If it is, just take it out and go to Radio Shack and have them match it up. Some supermarkets/pharmacies may have one in the camera/watch department. Might be worth $5 or so dollars to replace it and be done with the nags at bootup.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds