WIN firewall/internet probs

Discussion in 'Software' started by lolli, Apr 27, 2007.

1. lolli

lolli Private E-2

hello all. about 2 weeks ago i was online and my puter froze for about 5 secs. and i lost my internet connection. i then called my ISP and after many times of trying to release and renew my IP addy i kept getting error messages. i then was told my ethernet card was bad. i replaced it with a new one. i assume it is working. due to the fact there are very little packets being released. but still no internet. i am however recieving this error when trying to access windows firewall( due to an unidentified problem, windows cannot display windows firewall settings). i am assuming this is what is preventing me from connecting to the internet. if in 3 weeks can anyone help???????

TIA
    rhonda

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Strange- I've never heard of Windows firewall preventing internet access.... Maybe try disabling the firewall service, then rebooting and see if you can then turn it off in the Control Panel.... to disable the service: Click Start > Run > type msconfig > press Enter > click Services tab > uncheck Windows Firewall (it's usually near the end of the list). Be sure to click Apply, then OK, then OK again to reboot..... good luck!

hd2k

3. lolli

lolli Private E-2

all ready tried that, windows firewall is not on the list. any suggestions about what i can check as far as settings go???? i also get error messages when trying to renew/release IPconfig in DOS Prompt. puter is only 9 mos. old and running WINxp.

ty for reply
    lolli

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try temporarly disabling your Anti-virus/Firewall and see if you can access the internet.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds