HP Customer participation program removal?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grumbles, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I recently bought the HP Photosmart C5280 All in one printer-scanner-copier
    and noticed that the recommended installation has included a program called:

HP customer participation programme 9.0, which is 212mb in size! I tried to remove it in Add or remove Programs (I use WinXP desktop), but the following message appears:
    Removal of these programmes is NOT recommended if you are going to continue to use any of the following devices with this computer - HP Photosmart All-in-one. I cancelled the action at this point.

Does anyone know how to remove the HP customer programme without affecting the printer?

Thanks
    G

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Hey G, I found this quote by an MS MVP.
    This is the link to that page. http://www.msblog.org/index.php/200...ipation-program-software-causing-memory-leak/

If I remember correctly, and who knows if I do, LOL I had the same program when I had my PhotoSmart camera. It seems like I uninstalled it.
    You can always uninstall it, test your All-in-One, and if you are having problems with it, you can always re-install it with the software that came with it. (I hope you aren't one of those who loses their software discs);)
    When and if you do re-install it, see if there is a custom set-up that allows you to exclude the Participation Program.

3. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks M
    It was very kind of you to gather this information from MVP.
    I shall remove it safely in the knowledge that I have got the
    original installation disc, should the operation make my printer
    less effective.

Cheers
    G

4. swannie

swannie Private E-2

Hi,
    I know it's a bit late to ask but did you remove this program and did it or did it not adversely affect your all-in-one?

I'd like to remove it but would like someone's advice.

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds