IE not connecting

Discussion in 'Software' started by nexcompac, Aug 20, 2007.

1. nexcompac

nexcompac Private E-2

I was working on a Gatway laptop recently that was running SP1 XP home. I connected to windows update for the first time in who knows how long and tried to update the computer for the user. After the update, the machine rebooted and since then, the computer has not been able to browse the internet in normal mode. If the computer boots in safe mode with netwroking, its can browse. Even in normal mode when it can not connect, it still pulls a valid IP, and DNS. It will even release and renew from the comand prompt.

What are some sujestions on what to try next? I do not have any XP home disks, only professional, the system restore did not help, and all virus scanners I have run show it is clean. I have tried both wireless and wired with the same results.

Thanks in advance.

2. nexcompac

nexcompac Private E-2

And to clairify, I have tried to install Firefox and it gets the same results and I even said do not import anything.

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Did you install SP2? Did you install IE7? If you're unsure, go to Add/Remove Programs, be sure the check the box for "Show Updates" at the top... we just need a bit more info....

4. nexcompac

nexcompac Private E-2

no, still on IE 6 and service pack 1

5. nexcompac

nexcompac Private E-2

I also see that in safe mode, I only have the wireless and Lan connection. In normal mode, I have that extra 1300 network connection. I cant remember the exact number off the top of my mind. I think this has a big deal with why it is not connecting.

6. jimmy_iz_god

jimmy_iz_god Private E-2

first thing id do as a rule of thumb is install SP2 & go from there.
    you may need to reset the IP stacks....
    open a command prompt and type in the following:
    netsh int ip reset c:\reset.txt

let us know how you go

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You don't need to reset TCP/IP parameters (it never does anything anyway) if he can browse in SafeMode w/ Networking.

If anything needs to be done with netsh, its the winsock. The only real way to reset the catalogs prior to SP2 is from a registry backup, which is easy enough, once you've done it a few times.

After installing SP2, the way to reset the winsock catalogs is this.

Start, run, cmd.

type netsh winsock reset

Note, this will break any firewall you may be using.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, if you are having problems, you don't install SP2 to fix them. Thats like adding salt to the wound.

It sounds like you have an overzealous firewall, or a broken one at any rate. We know from your own tests that its something that starts up in normal mode, but not Safe Mode, which further makes a firewall suspect.

If you cannot find a firewall installed, then post your winsock information.

Go to start, run, msinfo32.

Follow the tree on the left of my screenshot to get to your desired info. Then go to file export, and save the text file. Then you can post your findings here.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2007
  8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You are thinking of your 1394 connection. This won't have any bearing unless your network connection priorites have been switched around. Its there because you have firewire installed and XP supports firewire networking, so it makes a network connection for it.

9. nexcompac

nexcompac Private E-2

Ok, before I saw your post, I did install the SP2. But as I suspected, still no fix. :D
    You will see the attached txt file of what you wanted. Thanks

Attached Files:

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok, nothing has modified the winsock, so no clear clue there.

Gonna have to do it the old fashioned way I'm afraid.

What you do is use a cleanboot to disable stuff, and if it works, you methodically re-enable stuff until you find the culprit.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds