Windows 10 and AV software.

Discussion in 'Software' started by tjet, Jun 2, 2015.

1. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

I got two notifications yesterday and it has me searching for answers. My AV subscription expires tomorrow and I was offered a reservation for Windows 10.
    I don't want to spend money on an AV that will be useless in 60 days and can hardly trust the AV company to give advice on what is actually best for me. I know 10 will dump IE and have many changes, so was wondering if anyone could offer information, advice or sources on the subject?

2. tjet

What I'm hearing is Win 10 won't run anything not vetted and approved by the app store like the current 8.1 mobile so I'm wondering if an AV for it is overkill.
    Talked to the AV support this morning and got transferred to a salesperson who of course had their best interests at heart and not mine

3. tjet

Thanks for the time Joe but you don't seem to quite grasp what I'm saying.
    My questions and concerns about Win 10:
    1) Will I even need an AV?
    2) Will the 8.1 version they want to sell me even work with 10?
    I am using a Windows phone with 8.1 on it now and it does not need an AV because all apps and programs for it come through the App Store and can only be changed by updates thru the App Store - the reading I was doing says this will be true with Win 10 OS for PC and tablet.

Oh well if I wait until the last day on the AV renewal I can still get a refund on it under the 60 day no questions asked.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The Win 10 TP has Defender so yes to 1.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds