install xp over 98 can it be done

Discussion in 'Software' started by wcdeuv, Dec 27, 2003.

1. wcdeuv

wcdeuv Private E-2

Hello,
    Well, it's time to install xp and I must do it over 98. No clean install availble. Now, what about this non fat 32 file system? Can I convert after install? I start the install and immediatly get can't load i386 file. Bad omen. Anyhow, none of the fixes at mircosoft have worked and the cd/rw checks out perfect. Any help on that would be most appreciated. I'm certain a lot of people here have already done this proceedure. So, any tips, hints, feedback, insights, experiences ect..., would be very helpful as I prepare for the install. Thanks for your time. Regards.

2. IMSA

IMSA Private First Class

I installed XP over 98 without any problems except my printer/scanner configuration had to be redone.

IMSA

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Search the forums, this has been covered in depth :) IMHO, a clean install is best. Converting to NTFS is probably easier when prompted or after install.

4. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

AMD K6, so it's an old Socket 7 mobo. If the motherboard doesn't properly support APIC, won't XP balk on some systems? XP can be pretty picky about old-tech.

5. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

First thing to do is to run one of the many compatibility programs available both on the upgrade CD and the Internet that would tell you if the mobo is compatable or not. I think there's one available at Microsoft's website if there is not one here at MG (look here first of course :cool:).

Wraith

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

APIC, I think you meant ACPI?

Yeah I could see XP puking on install on some K6 systems, depending on how configured.

I guess my question is, why use an OS not fully supported and that requires a more beefy machine?

98 is gonna run faster, and most likely, better.

And looking at that Rage II video...you really aren't going to be happy with XP, IMO.

Pretty sure there are no drivers on the CD, and definately not on ATI's site, which means no hardware acceleration for you...which means a very sluggish interface, because in XP, the GUI is hardware acelerated.

7. G.T.

8. G.T.

Interesting. According to this article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064 simply having your system overclocked can screw up file copying during install:

"Your computer is over-clocked. Because over-clocking is very memory-intensive, decoding errors may occur when you extract files from your Windows XP CD-ROM.
    Try to use the default clock timings for your motherboard and processor. For more information about how to do this, consult your hardware documentation or contact the motherboard manufacturer."

I'm with you though Adrynalyne, that machine will be huffing & puffing just to run XP. Every new OS gets more demanding on resources.

9. wcdeuv

wcdeuv Private E-2

appreciate it

Hello,
    Yes, there are many, many posts and good info already posted on the subject. Luckily, this old ss7 mobo does support the advanced power management. 98 is being slowly phased out. I will reclock it too standard for the operation. Not only 98, 32bit all together is being phased out and I'm acquiring the parts to create a 64 bit, water cooled, tech marvel this summer that will rival A.I. It like that guy they asked "why did you climb Mt. Everest?" Cause it's there plus I want to know it. I appreciate all the tips and advice. Thanks alot for your time. Regards.

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yeah overclocking is not friendly to XP setup, I totally forgot about that, thanks GT.

Something I did want to mention however.

There is no way a machine of that vintage supports ACPI 1.1 properly that Windows XP uses.

Nopers.

It may support ACPI 1.0 however (2k). That would be borderline however.

I have/had an old athlon system that didnt like XP, but loved 2k.

2k isnt so different than Xp, so if you don't get XP to work, maybe this would be a good alternative?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2003
  11. wcdeuv

wcdeuv Private E-2

it does

Hello,
    I don't have any software for a snapshot;however, advaced power management is version 1.2 with an option of booting into version 1.0. This emachine is remarkably versitile and upgradeable with the big downside being ss7. Most every adavanced bios options are already there including APCI 1.2 which is currently disabled. Perhaps because my AMI bios was a mid 2000 build. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I've considered 2K and me until I saw the rather extensive problems and incompatabilities in those versions. At an emachines site, there are many people who have updraded this identical machine to XP with not a problem. If you tell me how to make a snapshot of the ACPI options and version I'll post it. This will be my first backup machine when I assemble the 64bit system this summer and I'd like to have XP pro on it. Regards.

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, no point in arguing so,

Hope it works out for you.

13. wcdeuv

wcdeuv Private E-2

thanks

Hello,
    Agree thanks. I'll post the outcome. Going in tonight. Got i386 from a preinstaller disk. Forked out $30.00 for a valid billy-license.Going for clean install to XP file system after all. Everything backed up on cd-r. Old cd-r, $1.57 for 50 blanks. Some rewards for using old tech. Couldn't read/load i386 do too bios sec slave settings on auto not detecting cdrom correct. Thanks again. Regards,

14. Joe

Joe =CENSORED=

What if he doesn't have a boot copy of Xp, what if hes installing over a Network or some such. What it he does have a copy of Xp and for whatever (perfectly legal) reason it won't boot for him, who knows. Been there several times myself.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds