XP Pro Memory Management Blue Screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by blebadef, Feb 8, 2014.

1. blebadef

blebadef Private E-2

Hello to all, its a pleasure to be here...

Lately I've been working out some of the problems with WindowsXP Pro SP2. One thing I have found is that the Memory Management portion is not all that it could be, as sometimes it will cause a blue screen stop error. This purportedly may also be due to a faulty RAM chip, an area I have not yet delved all the way into.

At this point I would like to ask for help in the method(s) used to detect if a RAM chip has a fault, or not.

The update patches supplied by Microsoft for this issue, KB931784 [security update], and KB929338 [memory management] are described to solve it completely. I have installed both of them, and after approximately one week of problem free operation the Memory Mangement blue screen error happened once again.

Recently due to a backup operation in which the primary windows partition was reduced in size with a Partition Wizard boot cd in order to remove empty space and mirror it with DrvImagerXP, a few isolated errors were produced afterwards which have not resurfaced.
    I am questioning whether or not this recent additional Memory Mangement blue screen pertains to this issue, as the patch KB929338 seemed very effective beforehand.

Any information regarding these issues will be greatly appreciated.

---

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What is the code that the STOP error is giving you?

You can use http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/memtest86_ffaa.html and do test only one memory chip in your PC at once so if you have two memory sticks in the PC remove one and test then replace and test the other one.

Why do you not have SP3 installed for XP?

3. blebadef

blebadef Private E-2

Ah, yes.. the error code is 0x0000001A.

I will see what I can do with Memtest86+, but currently I'm using all four ram slots with 2 512mB and 2 256mB. I'm not sure if windows will be able to load properly with only a single 256 meg chip installed. Do you know of any memory tester which loads from a bootable cd? I believe I found one a while back, but my browsing history has been lost... it may be about time for some brand new ram anyway.

The 'new' Service Pack 3 seems good in theory, and I'm certain it does wonderous invisible things which I will never be able to find, or undo. With Comodo firewall and defense+, security is no problem.

If it were up to me we'd all be running Windows 3.1 Platinum XP3 on 64-bit DOS.

4. blebadef

blebadef Private E-2

After a bit of searching around the bootable version appeared...

- Link -

5. blebadef

blebadef Private E-2

It appears the fault was indeed one of the RAM chips. Firefox 27 has been crashing a lot due to 'EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION_READ' errors, and a lot of them. Perhaps this will also now be solved... Thanks for your help DavidGP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds