Linux mint/ubuntu OS question

Discussion in 'Software' started by DCFC79, Dec 5, 2008.

1. DCFC79

DCFC79 Private E-2

Ive installed linux mint but is there anything i can do within linux mint or even ubuntu thats good, or is this not possible to do

2. sniperhunter

sniperhunter Private E-2

not sure what your getting at. you can do lots of things in linux. what specifically are you wanting to do?

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Mint has MP3 audio playback already enabled. Mint is also stable only where that Ubuntu goes to the side of unstable every 6 months. If I were to introduce someone to Linux, I would probablly give them a Mint disk to try.

If you are unhappy with Mint, it is based on Ubuntu and two command lines and you can install Ubuntu.

4. DCFC79

DCFC79 Private E-2

To be honest i don't know what i was thinking by asking the question,

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

DCFC79, Welcome to MajorGeeks. I am sorry we missed that yesterday.

If you find an error you need help with, someone will chime in to help.

;)

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

Since we already have a Mint Thread-

Download Linux Mint 6 Felicia

Not yet available in KDE, or Fluxbox versions.

7. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

Can I upgrade my Ubuntu 8.10 to Linux Mint without destroying all my programs?

8. BoredOutOfMyMind

Yes- If you enable the Mint repostitories then run the command

sudo apt-get install mint-desktop-name

You may want to nose through the Mint forums for the exact method. I won't have time to look until next week.

9. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I'll have to see how to enable Mint repositories, but it seems interesting.

10. BoredOutOfMyMind

I was wrong.

Move Home To A New Partition

Then you can install from a clean install and move Home files afterward.

11. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I am uninstalling my 64-bit Ubuntu to install a 32-bit since I have been having stability issues. I really only want to install an OS that I am going to keep for a long time. Is Mint that much better than Ubuntu?

12. BoredOutOfMyMind

It is a preference.

You won't have to fiddle with back repos and unstability in Mint like you do in Ubuntu to enable items like DVD and Mp3 to work.

Mint is live, so you can "try before you install."

Delete the .files in your /home directory and you are back at the standard Linux install. Move /home and install 32 bit and then move /home and you save your photos/documents/music and such. I use a utility to backup Firefox myself.

13. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

Well, I have already installed Linux Mint by the time I saw your response ;)

The only thing I didn't like about Mint was the way the UI was set up initially. I understand the whole "make it look like windows for ease of use " concept. However, it makes it look like a cheapo alternative to Windows XP. When I arrange it like gnome usually looks like, with the bar across the top and bottom, it looks like its own unique OS.

14. Port-O-San

Port-O-San Corporal

B.O.O.M. - thanks for the FEBE link and info - I am a bit of a "feeb" when it comes to backup and could use some easy help. This will fill part of the bill!
    Blessings,
    port-o-san

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds