Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator

Discussion in 'Software' started by likearock, Jun 22, 2005.

1. likearock

likearock Private E-2

I need help, bad. I had to reinstall Windows 98se and when it came back the sound no longer worked. I've tried everything to get it back, uninstall, reinstall, update drivers, etc.
    Then I looked at my System Problem Devices and saw this:

Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator
    SYSTEM
    This Device Has a Problem: Code=2 (0x2)
    Device failure: Try changing the driver for this device. If that doesn't work,
    see your hardware documentation.
    Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\enum\ROOT\SWENUM\0000
    Alloc resources: None
    Forced resources: None
    Boot resources: None
    Filtered resources: None
    Basic resources: None
    Driver: SYSTEM\0000
    Driver Date: 4-23-1999
    Driver: update.sys
    File Size: 60592 (0xECB0)
    File Date: 4/23/1999 10:22 AM
    Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
    File Version: 4.10.2222
    Driver: streamci.dll
    File Size: 20480 (0x5000)
    File Date: 4/23/1999 10:22 AM
    File Version: 5.00.2020.1
    Driver: ks.sys
    File Size: 126464 (0x1EE00)
    File Date: 12/12/2002 0:14 AM
    File Version: 4.90.0003010.900 built by: DIRECTX
    Driver: swenum.sys
    File Size: 4096 (0x1000)
    File Date: 12/12/2002 0:14 PM
    File Version: 4.90.0003010.900 built by: DIRECTX

I've Googled for hours and hours and I keep seeing the Enumerator error associated with no sound but nowhere do I see a solution.

If I go into Add New Hardware and choose the MS Enumerator it says click Finish to install, I do and the screen flashes but then nothing happens and it doesn't change anything.

I really do not want to reformat my drive. Does anyone know how to fix this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Give us your computer's specs. lookong for model , P/N, IC chip info for DL drivers.

3. likearock

likearock Private E-2

Compaq Presario 5BW130 Pentium II
    ESS Allegro PCI Audio

4. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

5. likearock

likearock Private E-2

Thanks, but that didn't help. Someone else recommended reinstalling DirectX so I downloaded the latest adn it got rid of the enumerator problem, however, I still have no sound. I reinstalled the driver directly from ESS but no go. Any more suggestions?

6. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

There is so many kind of ESS you should read number on the ICchip then DL base on it or P/N.

7. likearock

likearock Private E-2

When I went to ESS I downloaded their indentifier whcih told me the number, 1988. I downloaded the driver for that number. I also tried installing the drivers that I had previously from my backup disk. I've installed the sound card driver about 100 times so far and still have no sound. I don't know what else to do.

8. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

listening headphone when you put headphone jack in sound do you hear any sound ....? that mean sound good ...

trying install winXP SP2 if you did not find out sound driver.

9. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

hmm I had the very same problem after using MS Driver Auto Update for my web cam, It completely scrambled my device enumerator, I had no sound, no cd roms, no USB devices, everything else was working perfectly. I run Win XP Home, so my sollution was made a little bit easier, im not sure if 98SE works in the same way but here is what i did. I eventually found the problem to be with the KS.SYS file, it was showing errors in event manager, so i coppied it back to Windows/system32/ from the i386 folder which contains an archive of all the drivers for windows at install. It 'did' bring my sound back, but my sound card would still not respond to the mixer icon and my drives where still missing, however having seen your post, i would also try copying those files back to their home folders either from your original 98SE cd or see if they are stored in a protected folder somewhere on your system?. I never got as far as looking for other corrupt files as i gave up and just formatted and re-installed windows, its a pain i know but in a situation like that all your doing is confusing windows even further by replacing file after file and it could end up worse. a format is better (maybe not practical) sollution. I hope iv shed some light on this problem for you mate ? I wish id seen your post earlier id have tried replacing those other 3 files as well lol oh well you live and learn..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds