How can I open DAT files

Discussion in 'Software' started by Snooky, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Snooky

Snooky Private E-2

Hi I'm new to majorgeeks.com. Sure hope you can help. Couple of months ago, I became unable to sign into Yahoo Messenger anymore..No clue why....I "know my password"... In the Archives in Messenger I had two months worth of important conversations stored, of course since I cannot sign in, I cant get to them. I found this files on my computer though, they are DAT files, when I press to open I get the warning about ruining my system..JUst got new computer Primary drive C: WinXP; my old drive was installed its the E drive and it still has Win 98 on it..
    Any thoughts?. Thanks so much....Snook :)

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Dat files can be anything, its just a generically used filename for data, HOWEVER from my knowledge of yahoo opening them won't be as simple as just opening them, they are encrypted in a manner using the username and password as a seed for the encryption algorith meaning you can open them only from yahoo whilst logged in.

you could try a program like this http://www.gold-software.com/SuperYahooMessengerArchiveDecoder-review20056.htm but I guess the cost is dependant on how important the saved messages are. Perhaps in future you should manually save the conversations that are important to you.

3. Snooky

Snooky Private E-2

TY TY TY Matt. the program you suggested worked perfectly......it was a free download....didnt cost a thing...Sure appreciate your help. :) Snooky

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

No problem, glad to have helped.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds