Need advice on buying a router...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nightwish, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Nightwish

Nightwish Private E-2

Im upgrading my broadband service soon and I'll be connecting 2 computers to the internet.
    I havn't decided which provider to go with yet but most dont have their own routers available to purchase.

I would like some advice on some decent reliable companies/manufacturers that make routers, if possible ones that are available in the UK since thats where I live!!

Thanks

2. Fatalah

Fatalah Private E-2

I should be included in this thread as well.

My girlfriend's getting Verizon DSL installed next week (New York) and I told her that she should definitely be looking at buying a wireless router for her home (which has an upstairs, groundfloor, basement, and a backyard). That's alot of space to cover.

I've never bought a wireless router myself, but what's a good way to go? Leo Laporte on TechTV always used to recommend D-Link. What price range should I be in?

3. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. HECK

HECK Corporal

i have verizon DSL also and im in maryland. i have seemed to hav a few problems with them here and there. but anyway, they are giving out westell modems around here. we have linksys wireless set up arund my house. we have 4 desktops and one laptop connected to it. seems to be good. but the router is setup for plug and play, but i would reccomend you cal linksys and heve them config ur router. they will walk you through the setup as i did the same earileir today. it sped up the dsl a little and we all have solid conections now. they will do several thing like reset ur ip and ping and and also they will set it up for verizon pppoe or w.e it is tnad all. its worth it. only takes about 20mins.

also try to go G not B rated routers. though b is cheaper but it seems to be worth going G nowdays....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds