msvcrt.dll error ie6 why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by wcdeuv, Dec 26, 2003.

1. wcdeuv

wcdeuv Private E-2

IE must be shut down. We're are sorry. Send report? This is what I randomly get sufing the web and even in windows exployer once. The details are md:msvcrt.dll is the culprit. Something about visual c++. I run IE6 all service packs and 98 all service packs plus the missing vdx installed. I just upgraded a tiny 2 gig too this 20.4 cavier so 98 and IE6 are fresh. I did updade the dll, no luck. It just randomly happens. I turned off active desktop that was crashing constantly and had a failed install of that massive office 2000 update. Other than that msvcrt.dll is used by ashampoo recording suite and I deleted it after backing too floppy. Still get the error. Nothing specific at microsoft that I could find yet about msvcrt.dll causing the must shut down thing. Alot about it in visual studio which I'm unaware of using. I'm new here but it's my favorite download/tweak site. Excellent selection. I run an ancient (2000)emachines 333cs micro atx upgraded too an overclocked K6 2+ 550 to 601.35, 256ram, 20g Caviar 7200, ATI rage IIC onboard, crystal 3d and 400w power. Old but still very useable, just upgraded all that last month. Any help or insight appreciated, nice to me ya.

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

3. wcdeuv

wcdeuv Private E-2

thank you

Thank you. Only thing now is that I can't replace it the only way I know how. It says windows is currently using msvcrt.dll and I can't replace it. I did find an interesting c++ link that I deleted after backing up. Now, how do I replace a dll that windows is using? Thanks.

4. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

First, extract the new dll file to a folder on your computer. Then find the path to the old file. ( C:\Windows\System )

Restart the Machine, watch for the Starting Windows prompt and press the F8 key select Command Prompt only.

Change to the folder where the file is stored ("CD C:\Windows\System" then press enter) and rename the existing file (ren msvcrt.dll mscvrt.old (press enter)

Next change to the downld folder where you extracted the new dll file, and then copy the file to the folder where the file you are replacing is located ("copy msvcrt.dll c:\windows\system, enter")

Reboot the system.

1 person likes this.
  5. wcdeuv

wcdeuv Private E-2

thanks

It worked. Thanks alot, appreciate it. Regards.

6. LittleDebbieCakes

LittleDebbieCakes Private E-2

I love you people!!! I have struggled with this problem for a while now and have never found a good answer to my problem...that is until I came upon this message board! Thanks so much for your advice and assistance!!!:)

7. InfoDiver

InfoDiver Private E-2

One Thank you is not even close too what I can bestow upon you guys. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You a hundred million times. I love you guys. I have searched all over to resolve this problem until I ran across your site.

I never did get the Starting Windows prompt, so I restarted Windows in Dos and then followed the suggestion left by Capt. Cyrogenic. It worked. Yahoo.

Once again Thank you.

8. billybobjoe10

billybobjoe10 Private E-2

I get into msdos and where it says C:\> i type in windows\system (where the file is located), but it says Bad Command or File Name

I don't know what else to do. Can anyone please help me??

9. Crimson_Wolf82

Crimson_Wolf82 Private E-2

Wow thanks guys, I had this problem as well, and I thought the only way to solve it was to keep the "Run ActiveX controlls and Plugins" option off permanently. I cant count how many friends I was unable to help with this same problem untill now.

billybobjoe10
    I think you may be trying to do it from the MS-Dos prompt in the start button, so I'm going to try and clarify their instructions on how to do this, hopefully I am not insulting your intelegence here.

NOTE: before doing any of this, you must have a file extraction program (Sutch as "WinZip" or "WinRar") AND you must have the "Hide file extensions for known file types" turned OFF, here is how to do that in Windows 98 S.E.
    1) click "Start", go to "Settings" and click on "Folder Options...".
    2) in the "Folder Options" window, click on the "View" tab at the top.
    3) click on "Show all files" so that all hidden and system files are visible.
    4) make sure "Hide file extensions for known file types" is UNCHECKED.

1) download the file to somewhere on your computer (I suggest the desktop).
    2) Extract the file using something like WinZip or WinRar.
    3) rename the file by "Right clicking" on it and selecting "Rename", rename it to "msvcrt.new".
    4) Cut and Paste the "msvcrt.new" file into your "C:\Windows\System" folder, (simply "Right Click" the "msvcrt.new" file and select "Cut", then open an Explorer window or just any file window, and at the top where it says "Address" type "C:\Windows\System", then just "Right Click" in the File area and select "Paste")
    5) (This part is gonna take timing) now restart your computer, and as soon as the "Shut Down" screen goes away keep pressing the "F8" and/or "Ctrl" keys repeatedly as fast as you can untill the "Selective startup menu" appears. (you'll know this menu because it will be a black and white text menu with about 5 options, one of which will be "Command Prompt only" or something like that.)
    6) from the selective startup menu, select command prompt only, this will bring you to the old MS-Dos prompt that was used before Windows was a gleam in Bill Gates eye.
    7) type "cd windows\system" and hit "Enter".
    8) type "ren msvcrt.dll msvcrt.old" and hit "Enter".
    9) type "ren msvcrt.new msvcrt.dll" and hit "Enter".
    10) restart your computer either with the "Reset" button or the "Ctrl-Alt-Del" method and youshould be all set and good to go.

10. eric_323

eric_323 Private E-2

Thank you so much your clear instructions enabled me to enjoy the rest of the weekend.

thanks

11. Pieter

Pieter Private E-2

Thank you Crimson_Wolf82 and other forum members,

This works for me.
    Simple and effective.
    I deinstalled IE6 before, but this is the best sollution.
    Greetings

P.

:)

12. lchapin

lchapin Private E-2

Will this fix work for W2k too? I would love to try it, but I thought I read some where it was for 98.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds