The Dreaded Black Screen!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IMSA A, Sep 11, 2007.

1. IMSA A

IMSA A Private E-2

I think I have a real problem this time. Yesterday I turned my computer on and the screen just stayed black. No Windows welcome, no nothing. I shut my computer down, turned it on again and all was fine. Today I turn my computer on and black screen again, for good this time. My monitor has a light that just blinks when on but is receiving nothing from the computer and it’s blinking. Thinking it might be a video card, I swap out the card with another and no difference. I press on the button to open my CR/DVD tray and nothing, which leaves me to believe it’s not receiving power. The motherboard is an IBIT IC7-g and is about 4 years old. There’s a small fan on the motherboard about the size of a quarter that I discovers quit working. There are two lights on the lower right hand corner of the motherboard that are on, a red one and a green one. Any ideas? Would it be a bad motherboard? Processor? And if it is the motherboard what would I replace it with? Can I reuse my Intel processor?

Thanks

IMSA

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

check your motherboard manual, that red light probably means something. mine just has a single green LED

do you get any beeps, fans spinning up, hard drive noises etc...?

3. IMSA A

IMSA A Private E-2

Fans are on but no beeps of any kind. Hard drives seem ok.

IMSA

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

so the hard drives spin up? when my motherboard died i got no HDD activity. does your HDD activity light flicker at all?

5. IMSA A

IMSA A Private E-2

No, the HDD light is a solid blue and no flicker so I don't think the HD's are doing anything.

IMSA

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds