permanently delete previously deleted files

Discussion in 'Software' started by propman, Nov 17, 2004.

1. propman

propman Private E-2

Hey Folks! Can anybody recommend a program that will allow me to view and delete previously deleted files? I have located over a 1000 previously deleted files with Tuneup Utilities but it will not permanently delete the files. Another program I trial downloaded located over 1200 previously deleted files but it will only attempt to restore the files, not delete them. I have run disk cleaning utilities that clean free space but does not remove the deleted files.These are not sensitive files and lot of them are 0 byte files but I like to keep a clean hard drive. I am running Win98.

Thanks

Propman

2. nforce

nforce Private E-2

Try eastec eraser, free for 30 days..get it from majorgeeks.com..its in the security section..it will wipe your free space..up to 35 times if you want..should delete those pesky files..
    nforce:)

3. propman

propman Private E-2

Thanks nforce. I tried eraser, BC (good utility) TuneUp and a couple other free space wipers. After wiping free space a file recovery tool can still locate previously deleted data.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Would you happen to be using Norton, and these may be in the Norton Protected recycle bin? Bazza

===

5. propman

propman Private E-2

hey bazza. No Norton. Lousy bloated software. Any ideas on recovery software that also allows me to view deleted software before I permanently delete it? downloading Cyberscrub as I write.

Thanks

Propman

6. Frodo

Frodo Private E-2

If you are looking to completely erase deleted files try PGP. It is free and very effectiveweb site is: www.pgp.com

go to the section of Freeware

There is also one called Eraser. Let me know I think I may have a copy to send you (also Freeware)

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Norton antivirus is said to be bloated. I don't use it (I use Avast) but I do use an old version of Norton Utilities that has WinDoctor, speeddisk and Norton protected recycle bin. I use these 3 regularly, some daily, some weekly, without problems. I only run them on demand and then close them. No resource hogs. For example, AdAware SE hogs my system when I run it on demand, more than any other program I use. Norton protected Recycle Bin keeps deleted files until you elect to delete them ( I do it daily). It lists them, with details, until you delete them, and you can elect to rstore individual files if you want. It costs money, of course, for Nortons but be selective in which programs you use. Stay away from the AV side and you may change your view of Nortons. Bazza

===

8. propman

propman Private E-2

Hey Frodo!

Little delay in getting back to you. downloaded cyberscrub and wiped free space (I have BC but wanted to see how cyberscrub performed). checked my deleted files with tuneup and found some wip files? these file are large (1gig). any idea what they are?
    I know they are a microsoft visual studio but do i need em?

thanks

propman

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds