Apple announces iPhone and Apple TV

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by acejones, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acejones

acejones A Different Title

2. lb4norleans

lb4norleans Who 'dat

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Only reiterates what I mentioned to Adrynalyne the other day, the Mac PC is something they are basically ignoring, could have market share by sharing the OS, but why bother, they probably have more Ipods out there and accessories then the PC. I would give the Apple phone a serious look. Im sick of the poor sound quality of my overpriced Razr. Then again, maybe they like the Mac where it is and dont care, they have had 20 years to get it done. Cant blame em.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I see the phone flopping, but thats just me.

5. Major Attitude

Reaction is mixed, thats not good, people dont seem to like the touchscreen, but the Ipod seems very strong all around.... Mixed reaction does not bode well for it, but time will tell... June.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If anyone can do it, Apple can. They know their stuff when it comes to small electronics.

7. Major Attitude

Yeah, first you turned me off, now your changing my mind. Ill wait for the June release and see what people say. I looked it over and think it could be sweet. People are complaining about the touch screen, but they might want to look at the palm\blackberry style of phone thats been doing it for years. I took my kids ipod away and smashed it with a hammer, it barely made a ding. I think they might pull it off.

8. acejones

i posted this on a different forum

while it does look nice, $500 is pretty expensive for a phone.

two things I wonder about...
    1. what, if any, protection is there for the touchscreen? fingerprints/scratching anyone?
    2. no 3G?

I'm sorry, but my 3125 can do 90% of what the iphone will be able to do, and it was considerably cheaper (ended up costing me nothing).

I think the iphone fits a niche market. $500 for a glorified phone? plus whatever cingular adds for data? I think its too expensive for small biz and self-employed people. its a multimedia device. i think the only people that will buy this phone are those who already own apple devices, IT people such as your or I in large corporations that get to pick their phone (some don't, some do), or people that either have money to throw away on expensive gadgets or people who act like they have money to throw away on expensive gadgets.

9. Major Attitude

Well, heres what I was looking for. I would not consider it, but I am in the market for a new phone and really do not like the mobile Windows products out there and they are roughly 400 for a newer model anyhow. Apple is always overpriced it seems, but this might justify it.....

http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/j47d52oo/event/

10. acejones

i'd consider it if... A. I was in the market for an ipod nano, and B. I was in the market for a pda/smartphone.

11. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

hahaha nice one...

IMO the phone is really cool basically a touchscreen video ipod + smartphone so the price doesnt seem too unreasonable considering that ipods cost around 250-300 depending on the capacity + the cost of a smartphone/pda....i think it should do well. Id get one if i had the spare cash

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The price shouldnt be an issue, any new smartphone/palmOS phone costs the same.

My biggest concern(and why i think it wont be so hot), is abysmal battery life and possibly, heat problems.

In the end, a phone still has to be a phone, and a dead battery doesn't cut it.

13. acejones

according to endadget and the keynote:
    "A lot of these phones have low battery life. We've managed to get 5 hours of battery of talk time, video, and browsing. 16 hours of audio playback." Doesn't say anything about stand-by time.

Also on engadget:
    And the reality slowly sets in about what the iPhone is and is not. Noted analyst and Engadget pal Michael Gartenberg stated that the iPhone is first party software ONLY -- i.e. not a smartphone by conventional terms, being that a smartphone is a platform device that allows software to be installed. That means hungry power-users -- you know, those people ready and willing to plunk down $600 for an 8GB musicphone -- won't be able to extend the functionality of their phone any more than Apple (but thankfully not Cingular) dictates. Other unfortunate realities about the device:
    • No 3G. We know you know, but still, it hurts man.
    • No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.
    • No expandable memory.
    • No removable battery.
    • No Exchange or Office support.
    And sorry Jeremy, but I can buy, from Cingular, a BB Pearl, Treo 680, Nokia E62, a Samsung Blackjack (no touchscreen, but it is 3G), and a host of other smartphones for $199. For $249 I can get a Cingular 8125, or for $399, I can get the 8525. I can get a 4gb nano for $199. So, back to my original point, its expensive unless you are in the market for a new phone (pda/smartphone) and an ipod nano (sorry, can't include the 5G models since their memory is considerably larger and the iphone's memory cannot be upgraded.

The more I look into this, the more I'm disappointed. Yeah it looks nice, but there are cheaper phones with the same functionality.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Treo 700 when it came out was 499. I'm aware things are cheaper, especially as they get older, but it isn't uncommon for 500 PDA/smart phones to be released.

Apple serves to a niche market. The only thing they have truly gone mainstream with, is the ipod.

I expect this to be the same, with prior Apple fans being the primary buyers here.

We can all agree that there is a better buy out there for ANY Apple product, aside from OS X, which is a moot point, due to it running on Apple hardware only.

15. acejones

agreed on all points.

16. acejones

17. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

Other Odds Given
    • Consumers are reported camping out waiting for an iPhone—3/1
    • Initial iPhones get recalled—30/1
    • iPhone sells at least 12 Million units in 2008—5/6
    • Apple’s stock jumps at least 10% in value in regards to the price on 6/30/07—1/2
    • Consumers pay at least three times the original price ($1,500) on ebay—2/1
    • The screen breaks/cracks like Apple’s first-generation nano (iPod)—150/1
    • There are mass reports of the battery life being less than the promised 8 hours—10/1
    • Someone is trampled while trying to get an iPhone—20/1
    • iPhone spontaneously combusts—150/1
    Source
    http://www.livescience.com/technology/070625_iphone_future.html

18. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Old thread, should have never been bumped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds