autochk.exe not found at boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by skyline_gtrr32, Dec 16, 2007.

1. skyline_gtrr32

skyline_gtrr32 Private E-2

Hi there,
    Recently I uninstalled some software from my computer (System Mechanic and some DVD burning programs) and then installed Auslogics BoostSpeed and ran the registry cleaner tool. This deleted about 600 things from the registry and now I have found that everytime the computer starts up it comes up with a light blue screen saying that autochk.exe program could not be found and that autocheck will be skipped.

I saved a backup of everything that BoostSpeed deleted from the registry and I restored these items, but it has not helped and the problem still occurs.

I have looked in the systemroot\windows\system32\ folder and can see that the autochk.exe file is present. What can I do about this as the computer still starts up to windows properly.

Regards, skyline_gtrr32

(I am running on Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 installed)

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

3. skyline_gtrr32

Thanks for such a quick reply.
    I had read this article before, but then thought that this file must be needed for the computer to run properly.

What are the consequences of not have autochk.exe running and is fully advisable to just disable it?

Regards, skyline_gtrr32

4. Shadow_Puter_Dude

The only part of that patch you actually need is:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
    "BootExecute"=hex(7):61,00,75,00,74,00,6f,00,63,00,68,00,65,00,63,00,6b,00,20,\
      00,61,00,75,00,74,00,6f,00,63,00,68,00,6b,00,20,00,2a,00,00,00,00,00
    You can download and edit the patch I linked to, or just copy and paste the above into notepad and save as AutoChk.reg to your desktop. Double-click the registry patch and allow it to merge with the registry.

5. skyline_gtrr32

Thanks alot, I applied the registry patch and restarted.

The blue screen has now gone and the computer is starting up as normal.

Regards, skyline_gtrr32

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

You're welcome.

Safe Surfing!

7. adic27

adic27 Private E-2

will this work on windows 7? i get this message since after useing acronis to recover my whole computer. the first time i backed up and recovered using acronis true image home 2010, i was planning on moving everything from a 500gb hd to a 2tb hd and it worked but it made the partition size the sam e size as the old hd (500gb). so i re-backed up everything again with acronis only this time chooosing not to back up the system reserve partition. BUT also, this time i accidentally chose to save the image to my drive i was backing up. so when i clicked proceed it attemtped to restart windows to do the backup task. but before it could restart i hit cancel.

it still restarted and was going to continue to back up at boot up so i canceled again. now my old hd wont boot up any more at this point. i get a message saying 000x00000e0 or something and some other stuff (i forget)

so i tried to recover again like before, only to get this message (autochk program not found skipping autocheck) and it loops. it acts like its going ti boot. it shows the windos 7 logo but not as long as it ussually does.

is this because i didnt back up the system restore partition?

since then i have reinstalled windows over my original windows on my old hd and all my files are there when i log in but the programs need to be re-installed and i have waaaaay too many.

so could i try whats suggested in this thread?

thanks

8. adic27

adic27 Private E-2

forgot to mention i already tried repairing both drives wit the install disc, i tried the bootfix, scanOS etc. i also looked for a file that could be missing that would cause this like the mount.sys or whatever its called and its there on both drives

i tried ptedit but i dont have floppy and it wont start at boot up with a flash drive. i dont know how to create a boot disc and have booted something else with a flash drive so i dont know

any help is appreciated

thanks

9. adic27

adic27 Private E-2

???:cry

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

True Image creates an exact image of the partitions on an exiting HDD. When restoring a drive from a back up image it restores the partitions exactly as they were on the old drive, at the time of backup. Regardless of how big your new drive is. All you had to do was resize the Windows partition on your new drive, increasing the size of the partition to what ever size you wanted.

The registry patch I posted nearly 3 years ago, will work on Windows 7. As long as your system manufacturer has not customized autocheck.

If you created a True Image Rescue CD, you should be able to boot from that and restore the drive from the first image you created.

11. adic27

adic27 Private E-2

12. adic27

adic27 Private E-2

one question,

how would i get this on the drive that has the autochk.exe message if i cant boot into windows on it?

13. adic27

adic27 Private E-2

???:cry

14. Shadow_Puter_Dude

adic27 since you have an active thread on another forum, dealing with this issue, I will not be providing further help. More than one person helping can confuse things, especially when they are on 2 different forums.

The person you are receiving help from is more than able to help you in resolving this issue.

15. adic27

adic27 Private E-2

just thought i could save him the trouble and time if what was posted on this thread worked but i guess

16. adic27

adic27 Private E-2

i couldnt get help on that other thread so would you mind telling me how to use the created reg file if i cant boot into the drive that gives me the autochk message?

i mean where from do i double click it to allow it to merge with the registry?

please answer as i hate to have to reinstall windows. please!

17. Shadow_Puter_Dude

You will not be able to install the registry patch, if you can not boot to Windows.

From reading the other thread, it is unclear as to whether or not you followed the directions given.

At this point a "Clean Install" of the Operating System may be in order.

You can back-up files and data from the drive by using a Linux 'Live-CD'. Such as Ubuntu or Knoppix. This is of course assuming that the Boot Record and Partition Table are undamaged and intact.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds