Please help computer reboots

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by ugean, Oct 24, 2007.

1. ugean

ugean Private First Class

Hello, this is my first time posting on this site so please bear with me. I have used the tools and advice on this site many times but I'm afraid this time I can't find anything that helps. My fathers computer crashed about a month ago. He said he had a bad boot sector. He messed around for two seeks and got all of his information off and installed a new HD. Now for the last week or so it was working fine. Then all of a sudden yesterday it stopped booting. It will count the RAM and get to the windows logo then just reboot. I tried to get into safemode but still it just reboots. I can run the computer using a KNOPPIX 3.8 CD that someone gave me. The problem is I can't get any of the virus scanners to work. It won't let me run the Avg on the HD and none of the online scanners work. I've read some other postings online that say this is most likely a worm or memory related. I do not think its memory because I can run this knoppix off of the CD. Can someone please point me where to go to get his computer back up and running? Thank You

2. ugean

update

Okay, I used a google data lifeguard cd that came with a HD I bought. It found a bad sector and repaired it. everything works now. But this HD is only 2 weeks old and I find an odd coincidence that it too has a bad sector. It did not tell me if it was the file structure sector like the last HD but it was at least one with some important files on it. Is it possible for a virus or worm to corrupt a sector of a HD or is this hardware related? Any ideas?

3. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi and welcome to Major geeks

No-one will be able to answer your question here, this is the forum for introducing yourself
    If you go to the Software Forum and post there, someone may help you out
    link - http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

4. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

5. ugean

6. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

no need to be sorry. it can be a bit confusing at first as to where you post things. but you have posted in the correct forum now. but be patient someone will answer your post...

7. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Welcome to Major Geeks :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds