What is the best video card that will fit my motherboard...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by suntzu, Dec 2, 2009.

1. suntzu

suntzu Private E-2

I have a HP Pavilion P6228p-b
    AMD Athlon II X4 620 Quad-Core
    8GB
    nVidia GeForce 9100(yes I know crap card)
    Windows 7 64-bit

Motherboard is Pegatron(one of 3 companies that ASUS split into)
    M2N78-LA

Slot:
    PCIE_X16 - EMPTY
    PCIE_X1_1 - EMPTY
    PCIE_X1_2 - MODEM
    PCIE_x1_3 - EMPTY

Looking at this card for starters, only have about $60 right now. I know that's not much of a video card budget but it's what I have to work with.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...tails.asp?EdpNo=4111742&csid=ITD&body=REBATES

How can I find out if I have PCI Express 2.0?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'd keep my money in my pocket until i could get something decent. $60 won't get you much improvement for regular stuff and for games, well the sky's the limit. It all depends on what you want to do.

You probably have PCI-E 2.0 as that's a new board. Nice machine for an mATX. Also watch out for the size of video cards like the GTX260, which is very long and takes up two slots and besides needs lots of power too, a pair of 6-pin power connectors needed.

3. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Save the money. Your HP pc likely has a weak PSU and wont be able to upgrade to a very powerful video card without upgrading your PSU.

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I'd say go for it (i used to use a geforce 9400 gt 1 gig) and it was a good budget gaming card.

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

We need to know more facts about the system before recommending this move.

@suntzu: do you feel happy taking the side panel off of the computer?

If so, then post here the manufacturer name and wattage of the PSU.

The PSU is the large box with all the power wires coming out of it.

There should be a label on the side with a number followed by W and a manufacturer name. We need them both before recommending an upgrade, please.

6. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

I've got fsp blue storm 400 watt psu
    but on newegg there's a bluestorm 2 (i have a blue storm 400 watt) but the info is basically the same http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104046&Tpk=blue%20storm%20400%20watt%20psu

7. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

@hugh750: Sorry, but I asked suntzu about the PSU, not you.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds