KDS rad-7 i want a better driver

Discussion in 'Software' started by myk, Jul 11, 2004.

1. myk

myk Private E-2

I want to find a better monitor driver for a KDS Rad-7 17"lcd monitor than the vsxflcd or KDS version 1.0.0.1 . Does anyone have any help? I am running Windows XP on a Gateway computer with 512mhz memory, 40gig hdd and a 1.3 gig processor. Right now its using the Intel82815 graphics controller and is almost adequate. I'm not running games, just Photoshop and CAD and would like a better display. Color matching, resolution, contrast, that sort of thing. Maybe I need a video card? Have it pushed to 1280x1024 @ 70 Hertz. Please help.

2. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Monitor "drivers" are basically just text files with a .inf extension that Windows reads to set the parameters for the monitor. KDS monitors are all pretty basic, and are all plug & play.

Changing or tweaking the .inf file may let you run higher resolution/speed combinations, but can destroy the monitor. Optimizing video card drivers can get more performance, and overclocking is pretty common, although some folks DO burn out their cards doing that, but monitors are not amenable to "overclocking". Pushing them faster than they're designed for will drastically shorten their lifespan, sometimes to zero, or will cause them to either trash the image or not display anything.

A lot of video cards allow you to tweak the color balances in software, and there are apps that allow you to do that as well (Colorific comes to mind), but none of that is done through the monitor driver.

If you want higher resolutions with faster framerates, or a better looking image, you've got to buy a better monitor.

3. myk

myk Private E-2

Yes, I'm finding that out. Within the limits of the monitor and graphics application I've got, I got some very satisfying improvements by calibrating the monitor and using clear tweak to help the legibility of fonts. The resolution and refresh rate are one notch past normal(1280 x 1024, at 60 hertz) according to Windows or normal recommended according to KDS. Then, I put the printer, the monitor and Photoshop all on sRGB for color management. I think its about as good as its going to get. Thanks for responding, I'll be stopping in here regularly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds