No boost, no POST, just fans...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CyrDraconis, May 4, 2005.

1. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Private E-2

Hail, all.

Recent issue came up with my old IBM 6280. Specs are:
    Win ME
    P3 1Ghz
    384 mb RAM
    40 gB HD
    155-watt PSU

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before - I get no boot, no POST on the machine, just the fans starting up. The big trick is that the 5v leads coming off the power supply only show 5v under two circumstances - plugged into the motherboard, they only show ~3.5v; short-started with no load, or plugged into everything *but* the main board, it still reads 5v.

Tried swapping the PSU - two different ones, still nothing. Am I looking at a bad main board here, or something more insidious?

2. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

Wouldn't be PSU, if so it'd cut power.

Try the memory sticks. Remove so you just have one in there then try.

No beep code?

3. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Private E-2

Wow. Quick response.

Tried things with and without memory, and each stick individually; it never even gets to the point where it would beep. Fans spin up, and that's it - ever.

4. pacvan

pacvan Private First Class

Howdy,
    I have a similar problem, but the system I am having a problem with is one I am currently building.
    My post is at:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62016
    I think the problem is a bad cpu in my system. If possible, just out of curiosity, try putting in a PCI video card and see what happens.

I know Dell systems use a different pin arrangement on the motherboard connector than the standard ATX PSU, though they have the same exact connector. I don't know if IBM does the same thing as Dell, but if they do you will have to get an adapter or change the pin arrangement to the correct one.

5. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Private E-2

Pacvan -
    Interesting theory, but I don't even have a video card in the machine - it's an integrated 810E chipset. If -that's- blown, I'm going to end up with a new main board anyway.

6. pacvan

pacvan Private First Class

Oh. Did you try clearing the bios?

7. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

As pacvan says look close to your battery on mobo and you should see a jumper there that clears your CMOS settings and sends them back to original factory settings .. if jumper on pin 1 and 2 move accross to 2 and 3 leave for a few seconds then place back to 1 and 2 ... look closely as its easy to miss a pin. Of course make sure you are earthed and system unplugged whilst doing this. If you get a spy glass you should see 'cmos' written by the side of the jumper assuming that you do no have the Mobo booklet.. good luck.

8. Myth

Myth Private E-2

i had problems like that sevral times on brand new systems i build i tried everything but the cpu and it didnt work still no post nothing just fans spinning etc all i done was remove the cpu and reseat it and it booted up fine but the hardware was different was Asus boards and 2.6/2.8 celerons but it mite work who knows :p

9. oni0n

oni0n Private E-2

I'm having a similar problem. I am trying to build a system out of old parts (pIII 500mhz 2 sticks of 32mb sd ram etc). I get no beeps or anything at post with everything in if I remove the ram I get the memory error beep, If I remove the video card or processor or have them in I get no beep or boot up, nothing at all just spinning fans. Any ideas? Dead Motherboard maybe? I already tried the cmos jumper idea.
    -Thanks in advance
    Onion

10. Quagmire02

Quagmire02 Private E-2

My dad was putting together a computer that my little brother had bought parts for and had this problem. He got lights and stuff on the motherboard but that's it, no post. When I realized he didnt put those little metal pre-post screws into the case from to keep the mobo off the case itself, I laughed my butt off, told him about it and then he fixed it and it worked.

I'm guessing its not the same for you?

11. Myth

Myth Private E-2

do you know if the prosessor works can u test it in another machine that way ull no and if u can at the same time put another processor in that pc then ull no if there other problems aswell

12. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Make sure EVERYTHING is seated properly and as far as the clearing of the bios goes....I always highly recomment that in order to be 100% sure that the cmos was cleared....ALWAYS unplug the power from the back of the tower and then remove the cmos battery for a good 30 seconds to 1 whole minute!! I've learned from experience that this will solve alot of post problems, especially when the cpu going in and out is involved!!

Roger

13. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Private E-2

Well, I think I've found my suspects - three blown capacitors on the main board. Now to just try and find replacements; apparently, 1500 microfarad/10v caps are hard to come by.

Thanks for the advice, gents.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds