WinXP won't boot past 'Windows XP'screen

Discussion in 'Software' started by BillB, Aug 13, 2007.

1. BillB

BillB Private E-2

Recently had the 'Blue screen(s)' of death.Used the restore function {Contrl+F11} to take the mach back to day 1,box 1 condition.Had previously backed up the entire system to an external HD.The system came back to life.Had used Acronis9 as the back-up software.Recovered the files and folders back onto the mach.I now power up the mach,it goes past the 'Dell' screen.I then get a DOS screen that asks which OS I want to start.Either 'WinXP' or 'Unidentified operating sys on drive C'.If I choose the 2nd option it goes into the Dell hardware diagnostic program.If choose 'Win XP'the 'Windows XP'screen comes on and then fades to black and starts all over again & again & again.
    The computer in question is a Dell Inspiron 6000
    Windows XP home SP2
    80 gig HD
    2 gig ram
    Any ideas and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,Bill

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

It could be that even though you could not boot the OS was there and now you have used the backup you may now have 2 Operating Systems on there which could have become intergrated and corrupt. Have you tried a 'Repair' ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds