Acronis True Image 9 or 11?

Discussion in 'Software' started by surefire, Mar 14, 2008.

1. surefire

surefire Private E-2

I have been searching for a reliable imaging program. (I haven't had much success with the back up software on the XP cd to restore my entire c drive).

Acronis TI keeps popping up in reviews as a good one, although there are some very negative comments about it by a few frustrated users. (Even so, I don't find any imaging software gets stellar reviews frome every one -- they all get mixed reviews by end users). So I downloaded the trial version 11 and had a look at their forums. Based on that forum it appears many people are experienceing challenges with this recent version, so I am concerned about it. Some recommend using previous versions and a local retailer has version 9 on the shelf.

So now I am in a quandry: Should I get v11 and risk the potential pot holes on the road to getting the bugs worked out of it, or should I get v9 which presumably has the bugs addressed?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Well I used Acronis for years all, version 9 or 11 would be my choice and at present I using version 11 with Vista and have no issues at all, plus due to beta testing software alot I need to recover a vanilla default install, so Acronis allows me this and the images are robust, version 10 was the lemon of the bunch so I feel personally they ironed out those issue in 11.

3. surefire

surefire Private E-2

Thanks for the encouraging feedback.

I do have another query as well. It occured to me that I might be able to clone my c drive to a second identical drive and after testing it to make sure it boots, disconnect it and store it as a back up in case the usual restoration process from an external usb drive fails. Is that workable? Would there be any licencing issues with two copies of one operating system?

Thanks again!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If your not using them at one time then no you should not have any licensing issues, it would be no different really to keeping a clone/image file of the whole OS on say a spare HD or DVDs, issue will only happen if you decide to use both on different PCs.

Funny enough I do myself have various installs of XP and Vista on spare HDs due to testing various things, but as I mentioned I woudl only use one at once with its licence key off same PC and hardware.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Trust me to be different. I've been using version 10 for some time now with regular FULL backups (and validation) to a separate external Hard drive, with no problems. Bazza

===

6. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Note: Split thread re: posts about the free version of acronis 8, so that it's a separate thread and others would be more likely to see it.:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds