In Games (multiple games) controls automatically scroll through options or menu

Discussion in 'Software' started by moparman, Apr 1, 2011.

1. moparman

moparman Private E-2

okay so this is like the third game that has done this and i am freaking losing my mind. I at first thought it was a problem with the games so one after another i tried fixes, patches, even re-installing but nothing worked in any of the games. So i looked some more and figured out thanks to EA's help file that it is a "controller" problem. The first thing that came to my mind was the fact that i had a ps3 controller hooked up to my pc. So i uninstalled the drivers deleted the files, even went through the registry and deleted every single instance of the controller's existence. I crossed my fingers...

The games i am currently on is Shift 2: Unleashed, before i decided to write this the game was doing the same thing previous games would, load fine then once i got to a menu or a set of options where in which i could hypothetically pres the left or right arrow key to select an option, the controls would just go crazy and act like i was just holding the arrow key. I cant play like 3/4 of the games i buy, and thats the wierd thing it only does it on some games. I played the new Medal Of Honor just fine, Crisis 2 worked fine, Test Drive 2 worked, Dirt 2 worked as well, but GTA 4, Shift 2, Shift (the first one), none of them work. I mean they work but i cant do anything because i get caught up in a endless cycling through of the options.

I have tried all the fixes ppl talk about on the internet (the extremely few ppl that do have this problem). So i tried re-installing all the PS3 controller driver and calibrating the controller in control panel and a very odd thing happened when i went to calibrate the left joystick it showed the little cross hair in the calibration window stuck up in the left corner, equivalent to if i were holding the joystick over but i wasn't. It Calibrated fine and reset it to the center but when i pushed calibrate again just for the hell of it the cross hair in the calibration window was up in the left again. So again i uninstalled it and deleted every single trace of it.

I am at my wits end with this and i have no clue what to do. We have been in the game and actually unplugged the mouse, the keyboard, the keyboard and the mouse, we have tried using a different mouse, and using a different keyboard, none of them worked. The only thing i can think of would be to buy a different controller (seems most games offer direct support of 360 controllers) and see if that does anything, but i doubt it would.

Please please please please please someone help me i really am getting bummed out paying 70 or 80 dollars for games only to find out i cant play them. i made a video of the menu options automatically scrolling over without me pressing any controls. The games i'm showing is shift, so please if anyone can help i would be incredibly thankful.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auY7kjYiqGM

2. moparman

moparman Private E-2

I was afraid no one could figure this out...

Attached Files:

3. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I've had this problem with my old Logitech pad, exactly the same thing.
    If I remember correctly the problem was my drivers/software for the pad was no longer compatible with something and was conflicting. Never did find out what actually caused it but I'm thinking it was something updated and caused the issue.

I would try downloading a different/updated set of drivers/software.

You also have to remember that Sony controllers are somewhat blocked from use in windows obviously, they really made it as difficult as possible, even though I greatly prefer the PS pad I bought a 360 pad for PC simply because it works with everything and is simply plug and play.

Edit: I also seem to remember calibrating it by holding the stick in the opposite direction and then resetting it, but I don't recall what the actual fix was, I'm pretty sure the absolute fix was different drivers/software.

4. moparman

moparman Private E-2

Okay thanks all try that and see if it works.

Also which drivers are you talkin about?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  5. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

The drivers for the PS3 controller. No idea which ones work best, I looked into hooking the PS3 controller up to PC a long time ago and decided it was too much work. I assumed you have found user made drivers or similar and I was saying try a different set, updated or completely different.

6. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

Also, if it's at all valid, I had a similar problem with a mouse. Not the mouse itself, but it's integration into the machine. I found when I updated the drivers it stopped doing it.

Also, once, there was a cat hair stuck infront of the laser of my mouse. When i would move the mouse the cat hair would jiggle. This made it freak out. That's probably not valid, but it's funny.

7. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

lol I've had that happen a few times, it's very annoying when trying to play an online shooter.
    Damn cats, mine also like to make a habbit of climbing my pc desk and sitting on the keyboard.

8. moparman

moparman Private E-2

I tried last night getting the most up to date driver/software for it "xpadder" and it still is doing it! i don't no how to make it stop considering Ive deleted every single file related to controllers.

And used an actual mouse and keyboard "not usb's ones like mine" and nothing happens. How the hell is this possible?

This is so annoying that im even considering doing a god damn fresh reinstall of xp. Plus i need to do this crap some time to make a dual boot for crappy 7.

In last hope's though is there any thing like literally deleting registry and every usb driver on my pc? would that work?

9. moparman

moparman Private E-2

lol we posted at the same time what are the chances of that?

10. moparman

moparman Private E-2

well i was in the registry and noticed that interesting Microsoft picks it up as a "gamepad 3 turbo" so if i just changed the name to say like xbox 360 gamepad controller or something like that.

Do you think that would work? and since ive been sitting here and it still says Nedlamar is viewing this page, but hasn't said anything? inless your at the same place i am which is completely stumped, i understand.

11. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

When you've uninstalled the pad , you have uninstalled it from the Device Manager as well as software and after removing reg items you have then run a prog like Ccleaner?

I'm kind of thinking you've either missed a file or... and this is an interesting one I only found out last week. When I plugged in my 360 (for PC) pad it changed all the prompts such as ....

Reload press R..... became ... Reload Press Y (the Y being yellow button)

This prompt remains even though pad is not plugged in, therefore..... in my deductions lol, it would seem that certain games will alter their own config when a controller is plugged in. So...... It might be something that changed in those games and nothing to do with the actual pad software or configuration.
    Basically I'm saying you could try uninstalling the games and cleaning the reg etc and then reinstalling.

As for me being here, I wasn't, I just close my browser from this page and the user online status for this place is fairly long.

12. moparman

moparman Private E-2

OMG finally over a month, i did 2 things for those that want to know.

1. First i went deep in to the registry, to see if i could find the controller. for some reason it was saying my ps3 controller was a "gamepad 3 turbo" so i searched for it in the registry, and it was there.

So i changed the name to "XBOX 360 Controller for Windows" and than changed the binary data to " 03 00 08 10 0c 00 00 00"

2. I Also dl xinputemu3.0 i could put it on here if it is fine with you and after mapping the controls i put the files in the game's "game directory" i had to use xpadder still but it works know! This should be a sticky someone just needs to maybe rewrite it?

Attached Files:

13. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Glad you got it working and thanks for posting a fix.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds