Acer Aspire 5100 BIOS Flash?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Intuative, May 6, 2012.

1. Intuative

Intuative Private E-2

Hi there guys. I have an Acer Aspire 5100 Laptop that is booting up on power on, but the screen is black (not even faint). I've done a hard reset on it, checked the battery, RAM, and HDD...to no avail. I'd like to give a BIOS flash a try, though am unsure how to go about this. I've downloaded the files needed (I think?) and have extracted them to a USB stick...and apparently I have to rename one or something or other? Can anyone help me out please with a step by step proceedure for doing this? Also any other tips to try checking would be useful. Thanks.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Bios flashes are to fix specific problems and they should never be performed on a faulty computer,if it goes bad mid flash the computer will be bricked permanently and I can almost guarantee its not the bios causing the screen to be black, also you cannot flash the bios without a working display.

If you would like help troubleshooting we'll need some more info about the problem-

First remove all add in cards,network card,hard drive,external drives,use one stick of memory in slot 0 then switch to another stick after a few boot attempts if you have one,if the cmos battery is accessible without disassembly remove it for 20 seconds while the AC and battery are removed then replace the cmos battery,until you get the display working leave it in this configuration for troubleshooting.

Do you ever see anything on the screen or is permanently black?If the screen does come on when? What's a hard reset,a cmos reset?

Does the hard drive make all the lights and noises like its loading windows?Have you tried connecting it to an external display such as a monitor or TV?

When did the problem first appear,was the laptop dropped,spillage,did it happen while you were using it?

Welcome to the forum:)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Rikky has given you some great info to try and also feedback to us.

But also if you boot then hit F8 at boot and try safe mode, can you boot ok?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds