Compaq Presario 5000 won't power up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bear7535, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear7535

Bear7535 Private E-2

I'm trying to diagnose a friend's computer problem. When the power button is pressed the PC doesn't respond at all i.e. no lights, no fans, no disk activity, etc. I immediately assumed it had a bad power supply. Yet, after using an ATX power supply tester that doesn't seem to be the case. The test results in a positive green light which indicates a healthy power supply. I've striped the tower to minium removing all PCI cards, used different RAM, reset the CMOS by removing the battery, and still nothing.

Does this sound like something a bad system board could cause?

OR

The power button connection to the motherboard?

OR

The power supply's external connector?

Any ideas at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Have you checked HP's website? Those machines love to hibernate, so my first wild guess is did you try holding down the power button for at least 5 seconds?

Powere button would be rare, they are more mechanical then electrical and a visual inspection should answer that. The motherboard is a possibility, but your going to need to start swapping parts to diagnose this. IE, a similar machine you can try this power supply on. Time consuming pain in the butt :(

3. Bear7535

Bear7535 Private E-2

Thanks for the input Major Attitude. I've tried the power supply in another PC and it works fine. I also tried holding the power button for a while to see if the PC was in standby mode. No luck though. Unfortunately, I think the system board is the culprit. Thanks again.

4. windows for the birds

windows for the birds Private E-2

despite the name, i actually love windows

But, besides that, i had the exact same problem this afternoon/evening/still workin on it at 3 in the morning, trying to get it down, but i think i got it.

i had to pull out the ram chip and clean it....there was something up with it, granted, after i got it going, it restarted a couple times, but that is something totally different...so, i suggest, pullin out the RAM card, cleaning it off, and reseating it. I tried everything else (pulling the BIOS battery, hookin up another hard drive that is bootable, etc. but none of that worked)

also, just another question bout your problem...was there times that the green light on the tower turned red? i had that a couple times, and had to pull the plug to make it go away?

sean

5. Bear7535

Bear7535 Private E-2

Sean,
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try tonight. I've tried everything short of replacing the system board. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks again.

6. Melmo

Melmo Private E-2

Pull plug out elect cmos battery hit cmos reset button.

arghh used to sell dang things hate them.

uhhh thinking

oh yeah remove CPU check socket for scorching or melting
    durn things like to eat cpu's sometimes.

particularly the ones aith athlon 1.2's in them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds