Please Help!!..Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vickersx2, May 14, 2004.

1. vickersx2

vickersx2 Private E-2

I am having trouble getting my USB to show up as an available port in the printer properties. It just shows LPT1 and Communications. I have been working on this thing since Sunday and I am getting nowhere. The USB is working as I have a digital camera that works just fine when I plug it in. The USB also recognizes the printer when I plug it in. It comes up and says "windows has detected new hardware HP 845c. Thanks for the help as I am about ready to pull my hair out on this one.

2. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

OK what operating system are you using, and have you installed any drivers that came with the printer

3. vickersx2

vickersx2 Private E-2

I am using win98 and I have installed the drivers that came with the printer. When I go to print, it says there was an error writing to LPT1.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I would say you installed it wrong.

LPT1 and USB do not go together in the same sentence.

Tell us the steps in order you went through to install it.

5. vickersx2

vickersx2 Private E-2

I put in the disk that it said to and loaded all these files. Then an animated screen comes up and say to install the USB cable to the printer, at this point windows detects new hardware and you have to insert the 845c driver disk which I did. Then plug in and turn on power. The next screen comes up and says that the software cannot locate a printer. It has a dopdown menu of where to look and the only option is USB. I hit the locate button and it still cannot locate printer.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ae you certain your usb controllers are even working?

7. vickersx2

vickersx2 Private E-2

I have been using a digital camera that works just fine when plugged in. When I plugged the printer into the USB it read the printer as a HP 845c.

8. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

9. vickersx2

vickersx2 Private E-2

10. vickersx2

vickersx2 Private E-2

It seems that the bottom line is, I need to find out why "USB" isnt showing up on the list of available ports that you tell the printer to print to.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to the properties of the printer icon in the printer folder.

Is there a ports tab?

I'm not up to speed on 9x.

12. vickersx2

vickersx2 Private E-2

There is a details tab. In that field it asks what port do you want the printer to use. This is where USB is not showing up. LPT and Communication ports are whats available. I was just reinstalling everything and when I rebooted the "add new hardware wizard" came up and so I put in the driver disk that came with the printer and its says "windows can not locate a driver for this device." I have even downloaded the drivers from HP's site and still no luck.

Here is another weird thing. When you go to HP's site there is a link you can click on and it will look to see if you need an updated driver. When it finished, it said it detected my printer as a deskjet 895cse/895cxi. When I plug in my USB cable the wizard says its an 845c.

13. wk990

wk990 Private E-2

Well someone else with a printer problem, I have to tell you I purchased a Epson 3500 all in one printer and had the same problems, called tech dept after a lot of checking , ended up taking it back to where I purchased it and did get another one same model , low & behold had the same problems , took that one back and bought a cannon i900D, Instaled it and bang up and running with no problems

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds