Need good upload-download site

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gektumi, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Gektumi

Gektumi Private First Class

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good site to upload and download very large files? I'm trying to get a couple of MP3 files I have of some teleclasses (one over two hours) to classmates. BTW, these are copied and distributed with the full permission of the participants. As a matter of fact, in one case I'm supplying a copy to the certifying institute which held the teleclass. It seems their recorder failed for one class.

I just need something where I send a file that can be picked up by one person. I tried www.dropload.com, but it is way too slow. With all the nasties out there, I don't like to stay connected for any more time than necessary.

I also am not keen about leaving my e-mail address all over the place, so I'm looking for the best privacy agreement. Some of these privacy agreements just don't work for me, promising me not to share data beyond "their affiliates"?!

Thanks very much.
    Gektumi

2. techsalong

techsalong Guest

This is a lame workaround, but you could use a free file splitter that creates an executable for the recipients to use to put the files back together at the other end. You could easily break the files into smaller pieces that could be emailed. You need to send each one only once and blind carbon copy all recipients...

Maybe there is such a utility posted here. If not, download.com has one called just what I called it above.

If no one suggests a good site, it's an option.

3. Gektumi

Thanks, I'll definitely check it out and see how technical it is to reassemble. The group isn't too technically savvy, but neither am I or I suppose I'd be doing this on some Peer to Peer network :)

I'm still preparing my own teleclass presentation for the 9th, or I'd get busy learning enough to have a more elegant solution--like flying through hyperspace, some sort of House of Flying Daggers approach? I feel fairly dorky about this, because I just haven't had the time to reinstall Thunderbird since reinstalling my operating system, so I'm limping along using my Yahoo mail (with limited upload capacity.)

I really appreciate the help. I got a first-rate recommendation here on the recording software for this, putting me in the school's good graces for having these recordings. :)

4. techsalong

techsalong Guest

Well it isn't at all technical to reassemble. The software produces an executable file that you send along that they run and it automatically reassembles. You'll probably have to zip up the .exe to keep from getting it stripped by a paranoid server, so they'll neet to know how to unzip. I have, however, gotten away with renaming a file to xxx.txt, sending it with instructions to name it back to xxx.exe and run it.

5. Gektumi

Thanks so much! This has definitely cheered me up. :) Much nicer than waiting for snail mail to deliver these.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

7. techsalong

techsalong Guest

8. Gektumi

This does look great. I'm going to try the Http file server route. I went to the site, but I have a question :confused: Do I use the "source" or "binaries". I tried to check around a bit and read that binaries use machine language, but haven't found in what instances binaries would be preferable to use.

I am using Windows XP. Would that make the source file easier to use for me?

Thanks so much. Very excited about trying this! :)

9. techsalong

techsalong Guest

It seems to me that you just have to use a browse button to upload your file. I didn't go deep enough into the site to find the binaries issue. Binary comes from the same derivative as "bi" as in two, like bicycle. As you know, computers can really read only 1's and 0's. Those are the two digits from which we get "digital" and "binary code."

Eight 1's, or 11111111 in binary code has a numerical value of 256. You don't want to do that math do you? In networking, 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000 gives a value of 256.256.256.0 for a shorthand of /24. (24 1's) Since one IP address in each octect (group of 8 digits) can't be used, we call it 255.255.255.0.

You don't really want to go there if you don't have to, right?

See if you can't just upload the file...:)

10. techsalong

techsalong Guest

Sometimes graphical files are called binaries, but I don't believe that's what you have? It's a sort of misnomer, but been around so long it's in common use...All files are, at the root, binaries because that's all computers really get. All programs including DOS just convert binary back and forth from some language we can understand into want the computer can understand.

11. Gektumi

Thanks so much. Yes, I was pretty sure it was the "source" I wanted and not the "binaries". I really needed the reassurance on this though, because I've been burning the candles at both ends with lots of research on other stuff.

Not sure that I was totally clear, but when you go to "http://www.rejetto.com/sw/" where foogoo's link for "HFS - Http File Server" leads (dont know how he embeds the link, except he's cooler than me), you get a choice of downloading "sources" or "binaries".

So, "sources" it is. Already downloaded both and was needing my resolve a bit stiffened with the encouragement.

Thanks for checking back on this. I'll post my results! :)

12. techsalong

techsalong Guest

Well, sometimes my typing gets ahead of my brain. Binaries in this case probably mean some kind of altered file like image, ISO, etc. or anything like the ones you might find as "binaries" on the newsgroups. You're on the right track and I'll go soak my head...:)

13. Gektumi

Well, I think I started it by mentioning the machine language. I'd looked up "binaries" in one of the online computer dictionaries and the only definition I got was "executable programs in machine language". I googled "binaries" but wasn't sure what to look for.

The file name for the one designated "binaries" is: hfs1.6a.zip. The version number is 1.6, btw. Looking inside without unzipping, there is a single executible called: hfs.exe. (Also included are two templates and some FAQs etc., which I've already read.)

The file name for the one designated "sources" is: hfs1.6a.scr.zip. There are a lot more files located inside that zipped file, including some with the extension ".pas"

"fileinfo.net" says that ".pas" refers to Pascal Source file--file format developer file--and that ".scr" (in its most logical meaning here, not as a screen saver file) is "a script file--an executable script created or used by a variety of different programs"...sooooooo....

Now I'm thinking the binary is the one I should open? :confused: At least it has an .exe inside.

Feels like one of those Russian fairy tales, where you have to pick the correct egg to open,... or ka-bluueee! :)

14. foogoo

Binaries are executables - "the program"
    Source is just that uncompiled source code for you to tweak - if you know the language.

So your investagating & thinking are correct you want the .exe.

15. techsalong

techsalong Guest

What is all of this please? I thought the thread started out with wanting a way to get some large files to various people via the internet? You've had a lot of good advice.

Some smart person gave you a link that allows you to upload and share large files?

Now, if this is correct, why don't you just upload a file that you want to share to the site that was suggested and see if it works? You should be able to test it by trying to download it and see how it works. If it does, then notify your people. If it doesn't try the other selection?

16. Gektumi

Well, while I was drafting my cheery thank you note, I checked back here to find you may be disappointed I'm not moving faster. Sorry, but I'm not that fast a mover on tech matters. I'm preparing to present a teleclass myself for Monday, so I've been up doing some usual all-nighters for the fun of it.

To me it was important to find out which file to run because the last time I blithely experimented by running something I didn't thoroughly understand I had to reinstall my operating system. I will still have to do a bit of piecing together here because I'm not sure how the www.no-ip.com site operates.

Meanwhile, I've had a bounced e-mail from the e-mail address that the school asked me to send their missing Dec 20th teleclass recording to, so I'm not under a time pressure here. Since this is actually a favor, I'm not under any pressure at all, I hope? Sorry to have tried your patience. This is just in the stream of a number of things for me, as I know it must be for you--which is why I appreciate your time and help.

17. foogoo

Yes I gave 2 options, first being the easy way - the second more technical. Maybe he is interested in learning and looking into the second way - I think we are are here to learn & help.

18. Gektumi

Yes, I agree. I thought he might have been annoyed I wasn't making faster choices, so I was trying to clarify that I wasn't trying to waste anybody's time with the questions. I've opened up the executable that was labeled binaries and have opened up an account at No-IP. I found out how to get a disposable address because I really don't want spam... I'd gone to www.yousendit.com before I submitted my query in the first place.

Their privacy policy specifically mentions sharing information with "their affiliates", unlisted, so I just didn't feel that comfortable with submitting any information. Again, it's the spam thing, and when you mentioned the No-IP, I was very interested because I find the tech stuff lots of fun also. Also probably more useful since one of these files is 101 MB (maybe it was the edits in my Goldwave--great program), and may not upload that easily at www.yousendit.com anyway. I just don't want to get too far ahead of my skill and mess up my computer :D , so I'm going at a slow pace trying to do the extra research rather than rush back with a question, or announce that I killed my operating system again! :)

Okay, question...do I need to find out my IP address to use this service? How would I do that, or what is my next move to get a file up and accessible?

Thanks. I really feel so much better having someplace to ask this stuff. Thank you, thank you.

19. techsalong

techsalong Guest

Hi, I'm truly sorry. I can see how I came across as irritated when I wasn't at all. I meant to be just trying to help you see an easy way to get it done. Of course if you want to experiment and learn, and go at your own pace, you should do just that, and anything else you want.

Again, sorry I came across like that. :)

20. Gektumi

Oh, thank you! I feel really relieved! I felt badly after you'd helped me with me so pokey! I really do appreciate your help. :)

21. techsalong

techsalong Guest

:) :) :)

22. foogoo

The no-ip account you set up gives you a program to run on your PC that will update their servers when your IP changes and resolve any requests to your PC.
    So if you set up an account you got the exe and picked a name like 'www.idontknow.no-ip.info' so as long as the no-ip exe is running in the system try (by the clock) people can just use the 'name' to find your server.

Open a browser and try it - if not look at any firewalls, ect...

23. Gektumi

I've got the DUC from No-IP installed now also, but I don't know how to upload the files, or where or what instructions to give someone for picking up the file.

Is the person coming to pick up going to be transferring the file from my computer. I see the place to drap and drop the file, a virtual file area in the DUC. I did the drag-and-drop, but did not know how to find it from the URL's web view. Couldn't figure whether I did it right or how to access, although I could access the URL I was give (and it was in the form you described, of course.)

I configured the DUC to "Run as a system service". Should I have set it to run on start up? It seems to have been running on port 80.

Also how do they secure it?

Tried to check through the FAQs, but I wasn't clear how to find the proper category. I'm getting a better vocabulary, but not clear on how this thing runs. But---it really looks cool. :) :)

Thanks again, so much, when you get a chance on this. I'm going to bed early, so I can work on this tomorrow.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds