Remote access of grandma's PC (vista)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jdban, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jdban

Jdban Corporal

I am trying to figure out a good way that I can take over my grandma's PC remotely in order to fix the problems that she has. I would like a solution that doesn't involve her having to approve it every time I try to access. I would like to be able to tell her to turn her computer on and leave it and when she comes back, it will be fixed.
    So I would like a program somewhat like Crossloop, but without a person having to be at both computers for it to work.
    Oh, and I am looking for a free program.

Thanks guys,
    -Jdb

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Windows has the Remote Desktop Connection software, which in beta versions of Vista, did not require host approval to work. Comes free with Windows.

If your grandmother's computer is behind a router, she will need to setup port forwarding for you to be able to connect to the correct computer.

3. Jdban

Jdban Corporal

Anyone else, please feel free to give recommendations also. This will probably work, but I won't be able to try this for at least a month, so the more options that I have the more likely it will be to work.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Well, there's also UltraVNC (as well as other flavours of VNC, but this is the best I've seen), but I'm not certain how well it works with Vista.

This will also require port forwarding.

There are other solutions such as Webex and GoToMyPC, which don't require router configuration, and SHOULD work with Vista, but it will require that the host machine initiate the request (For webex at least). (Also $$$$)

TBH though, I would probably recommend sticking with Microsoft's product this early in Vista's lifecycle. That's probably your best bet for a successful outcome.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  5. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

LogMeIn is my top choice. The free version is all you will ever need. Easier than GoToMyPc and safer than the VNC and variants IMHO.

Good Luck

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Sweet! I'm checking it out now!
    Can you explain to me how it's more secure? (I was thinking VNC was pretty good when configured properly)

7. JamesUSA

JamesUSA Private E-2

TEAMVIEWER.COM.......
    Teamviewer offers a freeware version of TeamViewer.
    You can set it up in a host mode with a standing password so that you can repeatedly log in to her computer. You would need her or someone at her computer the first time.

8. techoftheday

techoftheday Private E-2

I've switched from LogMeIn Rescue to Techinline which is much cheaper and gets the job done in terms of remote access. My clients find it very easy to use and although it lacks some of the features that LogMeIn had, it's more than enough for straightforward remote access and contol. Anybody have any other cost-effective suggestions? Please, do not mention the free tools since we all know nothing in this world is totally free

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

Please start a new thread on your question over one from a year ago, as its likely many more applications are available for Vista now for remote access.

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds