Minecraft client OpenGL error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skater901, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Skater901

Skater901 Private E-2

Hey guys. I need some help with an OpenGL error I'm getting when I try to run Minecraft. I'm not sure if it's a software issue or hardware issue and I'm hoping you can help me figure it out.

I'm attempting to run the Minecraft stand-alone client offline, but I keep getting this error:

Bad video card drivers!
    -----------------------

Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.
    This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 7fe0271 --------
    Generated 1/10/10 2:05 AM

Minecraft: Minecraft Alpha v1.1.2
    Java: 1.6.0_21, Sun Microsystems Inc.
    VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
    LWJGL: 2.3
    [failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)]

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:185)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:311)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:843)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:771)
    at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:752)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:196)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:554)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    --- END ERROR REPORT bb8a307c ----------

What I'm not sure is whether this means I need some OpenGL drivers, or whether my video card simply can't do what the game wants it to do. I'm running a crappy Dell box with an onboard graphics card, an Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family with 128MB RAM. I just uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers from the Dell website, but no luck. Hoping you can tell me what the deal is. Thanks in advance. :)

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Since the error message mentions Java, make sure you have the latest version (you can get it here).

If that doesn't do it, then you're probably right that your onboard Intel video adapter just can't handle Minecraft. Sorry. :(

3. Skater901

Skater901 Private E-2

Well I'm desperately hoping that isn't the answer. The strange thing is I can play other 3D games like League Of Legends and Warcraft III, and I can play the online version of Minecraft on the website. So, you would think that if the online version works, the stand-alone client would too? :confused

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Service Pack is your XP at?

Are all your drivers upto date?

I would be tempted to fully remove Java and use JavaRA for this then run CCleaner and its cleaner and then registry option (run the registry one until nothing lists for removal) then reboot and re-install the latest Java Runtime from HERE

Disable your security software also when testing the game out incase one of them is causing this error.

5. Skater901

Skater901 Private E-2

Service Pack 3, all drivers are up to date as far as I know. As I said in the opening post, I reinstalled all the drivers from the Dell site in the order they told me to. If any drivers are out of date, I'm not sure where I would get them from, I would think the Dell site has the latest. I'll try what you said about uninstalling Java and running CCleaner.

6. Skater901

Skater901 Private E-2

Followed your steps exactly Halo, no change. I would think my video card can play the game... not sure what to do next.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds