Internet Connection Issues - PRO/100 VE network connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mira666, Jan 10, 2008.

1. mira666

mira666 Private E-2

hey all

have been trying to setup an internet connection for one of my friends and after a long wait she had finally got a cable to connect her PC to her phone line however it cannot find a dial tone. On closer inspection it transpires that she has an Intel(R) Pro/100 VE network connection and no modem that i can find. does she need to purchase a new modem or is there a way to setup her internet using this connection (either dial-up or broadband)?

thanks in advance

Cam

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

For broadband --> dsl, she needs a modem supplied by her ISP.--> Intel(R) Pro/100 VE network is the network card.
    For dial up...she needs an internal modem --> should be in the device manager.

3. mira666

mira666 Private E-2

I couldn't find an internal modem on her system, so am guessing that there isn't one, so she either needs to purchase an internal or contact her ISP and get a broadband router/modem from them?

Rgds

Cam

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

For DSL---> yes she needs a modem...which connects to the phone line and then to the computer ( the bigger looking phone like plug in the back of the computer).

For dial up...she would only need a phone line connected to the phone jack in the back ...but again, foe either, she needs to have the service with her ISP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds