TrueCrypt.... is complicated...

Discussion in 'Software' started by dannskunk, Aug 11, 2011.

1. dannskunk

dannskunk Private E-2

OK, I need some help with truecrypt....

What I want to do, is create a Hidden Operating System, THOUGH, I need other users to first have access to their respective accounts on my computer, so, I would like to encrypt one user account, and have a hidden one, using a different password, that no one could tell it was there.

Well, at least, I THINK that's what I want to do... The site won't tell me the specifics on how to do this, unless there's something that I missed. I've been looking through things for a while, and haven't found anything that would help me... so, I was hoping that I could turn to some computer experts, rather than relying on my meager computer knowledge, and pure guesswork.

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

You can't encrypt a single Windows User account. You actually have to encrypt the ENTIRE system drive, and create essentially two separate installations of Windows (which will require two license keys to activate them both, as well). They have instructions on how to do this in their FAQ. Here's one page that will probably help clarify things:

http://www.truecrypt.org/docs/hidden-os

3. dannskunk

dannskunk Private E-2

So, let me get this straight... I would have to, essentially, encrypt this Computer, then, create another one hidden by TrueCrypt... that no one would be able to see, unless I enter the appropriate password on the windows startup? Is that fairly accurate?

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Kind of. In simple terms, if you want a hidden operating system, you will need to enter a password when booting up the computer, no matter what. When you use their hidden operating system idea, you will be able to enter one of two passwords when booting up... one for the "normal" system, and one for the "hidden" system.

In your case, I think simply having the system encrypted with ONE password at bootup would be sufficient. Of course, if you tell anyone else the password, it loses its effectiveness (anyone that knows the password can change it, etc.). The problem with a hidden operating system is the need for another Windows license, as it's a separate installation of Windows... unless the same Windows license can be activated twice at the same time on the same machine...?

The other option if you only want to hide certain files, is to use a Truecrypt container file. Basically, you create a virtual drive where you store the files you wish to lock away. The only way to access them is to open TrueCrypt (as a program within Windows) and mount the container file onto a drive letter. It will require you to give the password, and once the correct password is entered, it opens the virtual drive with everything in it. You can make these virtual drive container files as small or large as you wish. I have one that's 100 GB, for instance, so I don't run out of space on it (I have 10 TB HDD space, so making a 100 GB container file isn't much of a dent in my sytem).

It all sounds more complicated than it really is once you do it. The only issue with a container file, is that someone can delete that container file... and if that happens, everything in it is gone, obviously. Of course, someone can run DBAN on the computer and wipe everything off anyhow...

Anyway, I have NTFS permissions set to only allow my login to access the container file, which helps prevent it from being deleted.

5. dannskunk

dannskunk Private E-2

I hear that Unix is a free OS... perhaps that would work, theoretically? I would at least want to give this thing a try... though... do you think it would put strain on my PC to have 2 OS's that could be used?

I DO like the locked container idea... though, again, I think this is a cool idea, that at least deserves a shot ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds