Battery Life on Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dnamertz, Nov 12, 2006.

1. dnamertz

dnamertz Private E-2

I'm looking to buy my first laptop. I'm looking for a used one on Craigslist, and there is one Dell Lattitude and the owner claims that the laptop battery lasts 4 hours between recharges. However, never having used a laptop before, I'm not sure how to verify how many hours a battery has left before needing a recharge. When I go to look at, and possibly buy the laptop, I obviously can't sit there with it on for 4 hours to see how long the battery lasts...I'll only be there a few minutes to make sure the laptop works normally. So, is there a feature on the laptop that shows the life of the battery when its in use?

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Welcome to Major Geeks.
    No-one can tell you how long a battery charge will last for YOU.

It all depends on whether you are a power user, or just use your laptop to play Freecell, for example.;) :D

You might try googling to the DELL website, for the particular make and model, and check out the specifications that should include average battery life (or some similar phrase).

I use my laptop mostly on AC power, anyway, and have removed the battery entirely, except when I visit other people I am trying to assist with their PC problems. Bazza

===

3. bigbazza

4. dnamertz

dnamertz Private E-2

I know a battery charge lasts differently depending on how you use it. What I'm asking about is whether I can tell if this specific used battery actually has 4 hours (approximatly) of life left on a current charge, or if its a battery thats near the end of its life because its be recharged too many times?

5. Tribulatifather

Tribulatifather Private E-2

Hey... I have a Latitude Cp from way back when and I bought two new li-ion batteries from the online store at dell and the new batteries last as long as the old ones... I am a high power laptop user so there might be a difference in the way that I use them compared to others however... I also use two batteries sometimes and that gets me a total of seven hours when I use two...so....

6. bigbazza

Usually there is a little icon, for the battery, down by the clock (Bottom right of the screen). If you move your mouse over the icon it might tell you how much charge is left in the battery ( percentage, and / or, time remaining). It does in my Toshiba, don't know about other brands. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds