Full retail and volume license installs of Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'Software' started by NICK ADSL UK, May 3, 2008.

1. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Full retail and volume license installs of Windows XP SP3

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Cheers Nick, could do with integrated XP and SP3 cd.

Sadly folks, this route is only available to TechNet and MSDN subscribers, as no integrated XP + SP3 download is available for retail general download, you can however slipstream the full SP3 into your XP CD.

BUT if wishing to do this PLEASE start a new thread on that question as this thread is about the integrated XP SP3 cd.

Cheers.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Better still would be MS issuing a DVD with both Vista SP1 and XP SP3 on it. Too much thinking outside the box, I reckon. Bazza

4. stealth2920

stealth2920 Private E-2

Should we not install the Winxp sp3 that is available at Major Geeks? I thought that was the latest version.

5. DavidGP

Hi yes do install the XP SP3 from Majorgeeks as yes indeed it is the release version.

What Nicks post is about and the small clarification from me is that his information is for users who have access to the downloads on MSDN and TechNet, as these lucky subscribers and users have access to XP with integrated SP3, so this is a full XP+SP3 cd, whereas everyone else will have to download the seperate SP3 and install or Slipstream with their XP Cd to make an integrated installer CD.

The integrated CD helps in case you need to fully re-install XP, so that it will be straight off the bat XP SP3, opposed to re-installing whatever version you have ( XP RTM, XP SP1, XP SP2 ) and then upgrading to SP3, just saves time.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats not thinking outside the box, thats just silly.

This year, XP gets retired from being sold, at least retail. Warranty support will follow, and eventually extended support.

Why would Microsoft include XP SP3 on the Vista DVD with the executioner sharpening his axe?

I tell you what would be neat, is if Microsoft came up with something like MacOS classic like Apple did, before the Intel switch. Then they could worry less about backwards compatibility in their current OS.

7. stealth2920

stealth2920 Private E-2

Thank you for the clarification.

8. bigbazza

Yes silly me. I thought MS might like to help out PC owners with both Vista and XP, instead of just thinking of their (Not so) almighty US dollar. What was I thinking. :( :D Bazza

===

9. DavidGP

Don't know as Service Packs are free!

However I did go look at the security ISOs they release monthly as they cover many of the OS versions on one DVD with that months updates/hotfixes, but they have not issued one to include the SPs, doubt they will also for reasons Adryn stated, but suprising things have happened in the past, and may actually IMO be a bad idea with many users running both OSes still.

10. bigbazza

I know Service Packs are free. I was thinking of Adrynalyne's reply and how releasing 2 x SP's ( 1 for Vista, 1 for XP) on 1 DVD might keep PC users using XP for a little longer, thus effecting MS's bottom line in their quest to convert everyone to VISTA. Bazza

===

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Unless MS has radically changed their philosophy from SP2, they will give you a CD for free, or a minimal charge for shipping.

It just does not make sense to ship a service pack for another OS along with a different OS unless it is a pre-req for upgrading an earlier OS.

12. bigbazza

I was thinking of users who have both XP and Vista PC's and want to upgrade both with their respective SP's. Maybe offer an option of both, or one SP, on a DVD. It might be more convenient for lots of folks. Just my $0.02 Bazza

===

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its a technical support nitemare. It would increase calls to Microsoft tenfold from users who just don't understand why service pack 3 will not install over Vista SP1.

Doesn't matter if they label it as XP only or not. Trust me on this, I've seen it happen all too many times when users would call us for support sporting that fancy "Windows 2000 Millenium Edition" OS.

Thats why you have OS media, and security update media, and do your best not to mix them. Ever.

14. bigbazza

Thanks again, Adryalyne. I'll bow to your technical support experience and go and sit back in the corner. :D Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds