Crossover cable between XP and Ubuntu laptops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gohansolo, Feb 16, 2009.

1. gohansolo

gohansolo Private E-2

This is not exactly using a crossover cable. The XP laptop has a network card to switch automatically between normal and crossover mode, so I coud use either CAT5e normal or CAT5e crossover.

I have successfully linked the two when the dual-boot Ubuntu/XP is running XP:
    1. I had setup both computers to the same domain and different computer names (needs to be done only once if never used with other networks)
    2. Connect regular cable (remember, I have a auto-crossover network card)
    3. Enable both Ethernet connections and wait for them to become "Limited or no connectivity"
    4. "Repair" the Ethernet connection on one laptop and wait for it to become "Limited or no connectivity" (1)
    5. Try to browse for the other computer. (I did via. the connect network drive dialog's search method)
    (1) I don't recall having not tried this step and whether it worked or not. I also don't want to try right now (I'd have to restart the dual-boot Ubuntu/XP and go into XP to try).

I'm now trying to hook up the auto-crossover XP computer to the dual-boot while its running Ubuntu.

2. xmeister

xmeister Private E-2

Most likely going to be a linux config issue.
    Can you ping from one to the other?
    Have you configured SAMBA correctly?

3. gohansolo

gohansolo Private E-2

I got it working via. configuration of ifconfig.

I do want to know how to setup my windows machine to be a router for my Ubuntu one.
    (I got them to talk with Apache on my XP, but they connected without any "Limited or no connetivity" when I set both IP addresses and gateways for their ethernet connections.)
    I'll show setup in a Windows INI config file style where each [name] is a simple description of the object in question.
    Code:
    [XPlaptop]
    ip=192.168.1.110
    gateway=255.255.255.0
    [Ubuntu]
    ip=192.168.1.111
    gateway=255.255.255.0
    [XPlaptopApache]
    listen=192.168.1.110:8080
    order=deny,allow
    deny=all
    accept0=192.168.1.110
    accept1=192.168.1.111
    accept2=localhost
    Do I need more software to make my XP machine act as a gateway? If so, can I configure it so it only allows access between mine and the internet (as in: not other computers on the local network)?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds