Dell Inspiron 1750 and Inspiron Zino HD vs XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by markem, Jan 2, 2010.

1. markem

markem Private First Class

Dell, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to make ALL of their drivers non-Windows XP compatible. I've looked at the INF files and there are sections in there for Windows v3.1(!), 95, 98, NT, 2000, 2003, and XP in addition to Vista and System7. All of the drivers prior to Vista are not enabled in some way, shape, or form. I'm not familiar enough with the INF format to be able to modify the files.

What I'm looking for is an example of what I need to do so I can go through all of the INF files and modify them so they will install under Windows XP Pro. Vista s*cks IMHO and System7 has too much glitz (which drags down the CPU). I'd rather use XP Pro. So any help is appreciated. Any/all of the driver files can be found at www.dell.com->support->drivers->Inspiron->zino HD/1750. These are plain text files and can not be all that hard to modify them. It's just a matter of knowing HOW to do it is my problem.

Thank you VERY much to anyone who can either point me in the right direction to docs I can read or books I can buy or even just a simple explanation so I can get started modding the INF files. Thinking about using Linux, but we have everything set up under Windows XP Pro presently, everything works (and thanks again for the help you guys n'galls gave me in the past! I really appreciate it!), everything runs really fast, and most importantly - everything is locked down so only me and my wife can now get to it.

Thanks in advance and I will check back tomorrow (It is after midnight already and I really need to get some sleep). :)

Mark

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds