WIN XP PRO Full Version Install

Discussion in 'Software' started by jayboy67, Oct 10, 2003.

1. jayboy67

jayboy67 Private E-2

I have a XP-PRO enroute for my new computer. It is a full version OEM issue. Will I have to do a clean install over my Win ME or can I use it like an upgrade disk without removing ME? I have the computer up and running and have been downloading WIN and virus programs etc. I was updating the Win ME configuration when it dawned on me that I may have to re-install everything for the "full" version of XP and then the question comes will I have trouble with the Win ME programs like Office 2000 etc. trying to reload them on a clean install XP OS?

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject..

ABIT IS7
    Intel 2.4C
    WD 800 JB 80 GB
    56 K modem
    CD-Rom NEC
    CD-RW Artec
    Antec 350 W in tower case
    Windows ME

2. Maize

Maize Private E-2

You know you love Microsoft.

Windows ME is like the Red Headed Step Child of Microsoft. You cannot upgrade from it to any other OS. It's not considered to be in line or in the same "family", I guess you could say, with the others. You are going to have to do a fresh install of XP.

3. jayboy67

jayboy67 Private E-2

I Knew It!

I knew the answer when I asked it but darn, you hope you can get lucky sometime, like going to the bar I guess. Of course on the latter that hasn't been a consideration for 47 years of blissful marriage.

I thought I was being smart when I shut down my old Dell for this new system by making backup of all of my old files etc. and even made a Norton Rescue disk set. You know what they told me on that one, "the hard drive has been changed so this rescue disk will not work". Great days! To compound things my CD's with data couldn't be read by the new CD-RW drive. Haven't troubleshot that one yet and may install my old unit to see if I can recover them.

Well all is not lost because I am going to give my son the old beast so it needed the clean install of ME and updates anyway.

Sure thank everyone for your inputs.

ABIT IS7
    Intel 2.4C
    WD 800 JB 80 GB
    56 K modem
    CD-Rom NEC
    CD-RW Artec
    Antec 350 W in tower case
    Windows ME

4. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Too right, there's always Linux!
    ;)

5. Maize

Maize Private E-2

My mistake. Apparently it is possible to upgrade to XP.

here is the table that shows so. I was going off my information from Windows 2000 training and just assumed that XP would be the same way. Have that XP training in a couple week...heh.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2003
  6. norac777

norac777 Private E-2

If I were you, I would just install WIN XP PRO AS A NEW INSTALLATION, AS WIN XP PRO WILL DETECT ALL YOUR HARDWARE, EITHER INSTALL IT OR ASK YOU IF YOU HAVE THE DISK THAT CAME WITH YOUR HARDWARE.

IT IS BETTER REFORMAT AT DISK WHEN WIN XP INSTALLATING ASK YOU

HOPE THIS INFO WILL HELP YOU. BUT BEFORE YOU DO SO, SEE WHAT OTHERS WILL SUGGEST

THANKS

7. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

norac777, you do realize this thread is from 2003?

8. norac777

norac777 Private E-2

sorry, first time use, did not check any further, just saw the question, then just ignore my previous email

Thanks for waking me up

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds